Ridge Runner

Another Blast To The Past On Detector Ads

Tis a magic journey, congrats RR on hitting the 50 which my better half tells me is coincidently the golden anniversary. I`ve a bit to go, hitting 40 MD years next year, still have to bend down a wee bit to drag the right hand on the ground.

Just love those adds and the memories they bring.

13 hours ago, Norvic said:

Just love those adds and the memories they bring.

Agree, Norvic.  I also prefer the drawings/sketches/paintings as opposed to photos.  They really got the imagination humming.  Today's magazine illustrations (ads, articles, covers) are almost exclusively photos.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 12:52 PM, Tortuga said:

Funny the detectors changed but they still sell people on those same hopes and dreams of finding buried treasure, lost riches etc.

Agree, dreams of bottle caps, pull tabs, and random bullets. 

• Like 1

Wow! Did that bring back some memories! I used to grab my Dad's magazines in the late 60's and read them cover-to-cover! Thank you for sharing RR!!

Here are two Videos I put together a couple years ago, along the same line - Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I saw the explorer 2 and the metalalert in a shop in London belonging to the Tesoro dealer nothing has moved for 20 years .......he was selling the lease on his shop to move closer to his wife and told me all about the days where he used to sale 15 silver sabre a day.......the basement was full of new parts for tesoro and that day i bought him the ONLY  compadre with changeable coil available at the time the uk....i also bought from him coils for tesoros a brand new INCA and a 1235X.............he had detectors made of wood and some Compass PCBs 77bs if i remenber correctly the shop was like a shop in the 80s i loved going there......btw i am only 44 😅😅😅 and i just bought a VGC 1266XB with case 3 months ago was dreaming of it in my teens now it s miiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

RR

• Like 3

Incredible watch Terry, thanks.  It's great seeing the history.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nuke em
      Anyone out there know any information on this machine ? It supposed to be being tested and could be really interesting when released .
      May be able to discriminate Iron out .
      You Tube this .  AQUAMANTA A1 TESTS HARDELOT . All in capitals . 
      It is compared to the Sovereign and CTX , the Aqua is the last one tested . Unfortunately LIKE the Equinox most of the time before release , its in a foreign language .
    • By wanderer
      Maybe this is a dumb question  wit regard to PI machines  why is that one machine will excel at small nuggets but can't do so well on bigger nuggets.,  Doesn't make sense to me.  It would seem logical that iit can find small stuff  big stuff should be easy?
    • By Ridge Runner
      This is what White’s had going for it in 1971 with their line of detectors. I had the 66 TR it being the one to your left. When I got it I just knew I’d never want another. ha
      Chuck

• By Cal_Cobra
      Introducing the worlds first Equinox, the Equinox 100 was shown at the West Coast Computer Faire c. 1977. 
       Wow this things been in development for like 40 years!

• By phrunt
      Has anyone had any experience with these things? 

Electromagnetic and magnetic interferences could be extremely annoying when you are looking for that hard to find gold nugget. Most of the noise is picked up by the search coil but a significant level of noise is being picked up as well by the sensitive electronics inside the control box.
      The control box is made of aluminium therefore the magnetic field easily penetrates it.
      To prove that, approach a magnet to the right side of your detector when switched on. 
      Millions of less obvious noise signals are interfering with your detector.  
      We have developed this Shield from the best quality material primarily used in sensitive 
      medical and scientific electronics. After years of studying and testing different materials we have found this one ticks all the boxes. 
      I have revisited the places where I've previously cleaned up and found more gold after installing the shield.
      It is 0.35 mm thick, held firmly around your control box by the armrest and  the new improved version with dual layer shielding on the right side is only 175 g!
      We have tested it on the GPX 5000 with amazing results such as quieter threshold, better GB, resulting in slightly increased depth.
      The shield allows you to increase the Rx gain by a notch or two without compromising the threshold. Use Inverted Response when hunting for big deep nuggets. 
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-INTERFERENCE-REDUCER-SHIELD-FOR-MINELAB-GOLD-DETECTORS/232594646908?hash=item3627b8a77c:g:8lEAAOSwYGFU0bvu
      I noticed it on Ebay today while I was looking for a cover for my GPX.
      I have noticed I've been able to quieten down my GPX by opening the control box up and scraping some paint away where the shielding touches the casing, on one end they had scraped away paint from one screw point during production, and the other end had no paint scraped away at all by the factory so it's sheilding was basically useless.  By scraping paint away from a few areas on each end of the detector I was able to give the GPX a bit of a noticable quieten down.  I am sure on later models Minelab would of scraped away more paint but as mine is a very early model made in Australia version this wasn't done.

• By ron4
      DAYTON DAILY NEWS, TUESDAY, MAY8, 1945
      So you think pellets are a problem.
      Lyons den, 1st column