Scoop For Small Jewelry Detecting In Water

I made a trip up to Tahoe for a little wading with the Equinox. No special finds to report, just coins and trash.

However, I was again reminded about how hot Equinox is on low conductors. Not that it is unique in this respect, just a fact. In saltwater you automatically get rid of the tiniest targets because they get tuned out with the salt. In freshwater though it is as tiny as you want to chase.

I am in general agreement with those that think chasing the tiny stuff is a bit of a time waster. It's usually tiny aluminum stuff, especially when you consider that heavy stuff will sink but aluminum likes to stay near surface. The real problem however is not the quantity of this stuff, but the difficulty in recovering it. Usually I think a person is better off continuing to look for larger, heavier rings, one of which weighs more than a handful of tiny stuff.

That said, hunting micro jewelry intrigues me if I am in the mood.

Right now if in deeper water and wading about all I can do is try and spot the item visually, then try and balance it on the front edge of my scoop where there are no holes. I have done this but it takes real care.

xtreme-scoop-rear-slots.jpg
Scoop with smaller slots in rear - Xtreme Scoop X2

So I was looking for a scoop with smaller holes up front to act as a tiny object sifter. Some have smaller holes to the rear like the one above, but the tiny item has to get past the larger holes to get to the rear. That would work but based on how I have been doing it so far I was interested in the holes being on the front edge.

Turns out this is a hard ask but I did find this on eBay...

lucky-scoop.jpg

I am tempted to get one to try, but these $200 scoops for something I do rarely and when I have a few scoops already is a bit much so I will think it over.

And ask what you all think also! :smile:

I think the best bet really is to go mask and snorkel and do the hand wave blast it out routine but the water is a bit chilly for that yet.

• Like 1

Small holes front and back would be an idea. I have one of those extreme scoops and love it. Also have the smaller scoop you posted from the maker in the Ukraine (without the small holes in the front) very nice scoop as well. Scoop and toss if you think it's small...thats what I do. Heading to Tahoe for a wedding in a week...will hit the beach for a few hours in the morning. 

strick

I have the "Stealth" 720i Tube series with the 1/4 inch holes.  Great well made scoop but since I am now using the Equinox 800.  I now need a sand scoop with smaller holes.  The Xtreme Scoop X2 looks very good to me.  You sure can spend a lot of time looking for the tiny targets that the Equinox will let you know are there.

Terry

• Like 1

Psssst.. Steve! Over here.. 

1/4" Wire Mesh Hardware Cloth in the bottom, sides of your existing scoop. Tailor to your needs. $7.00

Your Welcome!?

• Like 4

Today I did install 1/4 inch stainless mesh in my "Stealth" 720i Tube series sand scoop.  This did help reduce effects of the 1/4 inch round holes.  But I know I will find targets with my Equinox that will still pass thru.   I am now looking at the XTREME Scoops Surf-Master X3  which looks to be a better design then the X2 model in catching the real small targets.

Steve,  Before buying another scoop, you might consider attaching 1/4" stainless steel mesh on an area of one of your current scoops to see how you like it.  I did that on my Stealth 920 and it will definitely catch the small stuff.   

image.png.f244f97816dbddc427489cfb5473bf10.png

• Like 5

Agree with Terry,  most of the lakes here have sand bottoms that sift thru fast so 1/8" holes would be great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with #4  .047  SS wire cloth with an opening size of 13/64" and cover about 1/3 of the bottom toward the front.  I'll report on it in a few days after I get it back from the welding shop.987361189_Screenshot-2018-6-14AmazoncomASCStainlessSteelMesh3044047WireClothScreenWovenwire12X12IndustrialScientific.thumb.png.a9238576cdbfe3b9e30eb51cda6b9949.png

Stainless mesh welded in place.

IMG_20180622_115032629.thumb.jpg.22cd6cd4eeb2112b0fc9e15c44cd3f45.jpg

• Like 1