I Just Did A Coin On Edge Test....

Hey Everyone;

I watched a couple of youtubes on "Equinox coins on edge" which prompted me to do a test on my own.

Honestly, I really don't know what to make of it and I don't have anything to say positive or negative other than, I hope the percentages of coins on edge are low.

Yesterday at the park I laid a silver dime flat on the ground and ran the coil over it in Park 1. The signal was loud and clear.

I then stuck it in the ground on edge so the rim was barely showing. Ran the coil over it and the signal came in scatchy and broken up with VDI's bouncing around between the low and high numbers but nothing above 20.....mostly low single digit numbers. And in many passes, no signal at all. I wouldn't have dug these. 

Did the same with a silver quarter, wheat penny, '40 nickel, and the same scratchy broken signal on all or no signal. 

This morning out to my test garden.... did the same again with the Nox and the same results as of yesterday at the park. 

Cranked up the Safari..... hit them loud and clear whether flat or on edge.

Do I really need to be concerned about this? 

Any words of metal detecting wisdom on this? 

Thank you

Did you do the test with the Safari at the same location where you tested the Equinox and the dime and quarter on edge?

Did you sweep over the on edge coins both ways?

• Like 1

I'll try and do similar test tonight and see what the results are.

:smile:

5 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Did you do the test with the Safari at the same location where you tested the Equinox and the dime and quarter on edge?

Yes, I did the test with both machines, same slot, same coins, same everything in the soil in my test garden. I'll do further testing if I can think of anything else or based on suggestion on this forum. 

The issue was originally reported in early February on this thread. There is follow up commentary there.

All detectors miss things. I generally judge my detectors on how well they find things for me compared to how other detectors find things for me. Equinox does a great job finding things for me in areas where other machines have been wanting. Put a coin in a dense trash situation and the Safari will miss the coin and Equinox hit it. Is the Safari defective? No, that's just it's performance characteristics at play.

The "on edge" thing has been an issue for detectors for decades and with Equinox some people are rediscovering the issue or learning about it for the first time. Some machines are better, some worse, and with one machine some coils will be good and others not so much.

Long story short, if detecting coins on edge is your thing, maybe there are better options than an Equinox.

Searchcoil Field Shape

• Like 4

It's good to know about coins on edge and the Equinox..............

You have my curiosity up....

Thanks for the post

I have done a similar test on 3 items-on flat and on the edge: 1.silver coin 1Korona FJ 1893-23mm-5.0 Gram- no problem all programs stable TID, ... 2 .it Silver Tackle 25cm x12cm-148gram - all programs stable TID, ... And finally 3rd big Silver coin 1FL zlatnik-FJ I -29mm-12.5gram -and here has changed coin to flat-all programs stable TID, .... Coin built on the edge-was TID and audio is" Unstable" in- low frequenci weigted programs "type1": -park1, field1, beach 1, beach 2 ... To improve the audio response helped move from 5ton to 50ton or 2ton ... Test on high-frequency weigted programs "type 2" -Park2, Field2, Gold1, Gold2 was a OK stable TID and Audio-Show position of this big coin ...

Maj28 Apple5S 2018 015_DxO.jpg

• Like 2

I have found a few quarters on edge and can't remember if it was an iffy signal or not I just know they were on edge about 4" deep or so.. I dig a lot of iffy signals because there may be iron or something else affecting the signal

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The issue was originally reported in early February on this thread. There is follow up commentary there.

All detectors miss things. I generally judge my detectors on how well they find things for me compared to how other detectors find things for me. Equinox does a great job finding things for me in areas where other machines have been wanting. Put a coin in a dense trash situation and the Safari will miss the coin and Equinox hit it. Is the Safari defective? No, that's just it's performance characteristics at play.

The "on edge" thing has been an issue for detectors for decades and with Equinox some people are rediscovering the issue or learning about it for the first time. Some machines are better, some worse, and with one machine some coils will be good and others not so much.

Long story short, if detecting coins on edge is your thing, maybe there are better options than an Equinox.

Searchcoil Field Shape

Thanks for putting this into perspective for me. I can live with it when you explain it this way. For me, only 1.5 years into this hobby I read a lot...and I mean a lot...everyday a lot...LOL. The research and testing that everyone does on a particular machine means something, even if just a little and we have to confirm in our respective soils and environments. Nonetheless, I like this machine for it's simplicity and adjustments at my fingertips. I'll find my way with time.... Thank you

• Like 4

I'm curious as to whether going to single frequency will pick it up in the cases where multi- goes silent.

3 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

That was my first thought.  Mark, I think your ideas (videos and here) are rubbing off on me.  ?