I Just Did A Coin On Edge Test....

• Like 5

Mark ..... did you test this for more silver coins?  Your opinion about the test...?

Thanks for your time and effort with the video Mark. When I started this thread I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade but it's just that I have seen a few videos on this subject and my inquisitive nature wanted to investigate further. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to retrieve good stuff whether "coin on edge" or not or for whatever other reason. With proper MD techniques and the proper settings, it can only get better for me. After all, with approx 60-70 hours on mine, I've scratched off 2 bucket listers, over a dozen silver coins, several dozen wheats, rings, tokens and a ton of clad. Irrespective of some of its early reported faults, ie; arm cuffs, wobbly shafts, etc. I have come to like this machine due to its simplicity and power. Far easier to maneuver around its settings with only the movement of my thumb. And, much lighter and easier handling than my Safari however I have not dug anything deeper than I have with the Safari and that's probably because my coil has not passed over anything deep yet.  My confidence level with the Nox is such that if and when the 800 is plentiful and there is no wait for it, I'm buying it. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, Happa54 said:

Hey Everyone;

I watched a couple of youtubes on "Equinox coins on edge" which prompted me to do a test on my own.

Honestly, I really don't know what to make of it and I don't have anything to say positive or negative other than, I hope the percentages of coins on edge are low.

Yesterday at the park I laid a silver dime flat on the ground and ran the coil over it in Park 1. The signal was loud and clear.

I then stuck it in the ground on edge so the rim was barely showing. Ran the coil over it and the signal came in scatchy and broken up with VDI's bouncing around between the low and high numbers but nothing above 20.....mostly low single digit numbers. And in many passes, no signal at all. I wouldn't have dug these. 

Did the same with a silver quarter, wheat penny, '40 nickel, and the same scratchy broken signal on all or no signal. 

This morning out to my test garden.... did the same again with the Nox and the same results as of yesterday at the park. 

Cranked up the Safari..... hit them loud and clear whether flat or on edge.

Do I really need to be concerned about this? 

Any words of metal detecting wisdom on this? 

Thank you

This SC is sort of a dollar down an a day late with this reply. I came across a similar video showing this  phenomena. Hope this may help as thanks to observers, users of the Equinox this matter has been forwarded to ML.

Just received the Equinox 800 and discovered that The same thing happens using the parameters shown on video. No stable or good IDs using multi! So being in denial ... I decided to sent a note and the Equinox Video link to The Equinox 800 Detect Modes to our ML Business Development Director here in North America to see if I would get any response. This is the same video link that many of you have viewed.  Hope this may help?? The following is the reply I received!

"Thank you for your inquiry. As the gentleman states in the video, our Engineers are working directly with him to determine what is happening in these situations. Once they determine what the issue is and how it can be corrected, we will make a notice out to users. I personally have found that going in one direction, I get a solid hit, and then at 90 degrees, it still gets an ID, but jumps a bit."

Business Development Director – North America

• Like 3

I have never tried a test with coins on their edge primarily because I don't believe in test gardens. I will say I have found several meaning as many as 6-10 coins in their edge and even though the signal may not have been a 24 -30 because I can't remember but something about the signal prompted me to dig. I have dug over $200 in clad and a few silvers. Like the old saying if you don't dig it all you won't find it but on the other hand when I hit a hot park I oftentimes pass on an iffy target because I am digging so many positive targets.For an old man $5 - $7 in a cpl hour hunt is pretty good but also very tiring.

Yesterday I hit an athlete field that is hunted a lot and although I only found 77 cents one of the quarters was on its edge in really sandy soil. I did get a 29 on it but not the hollow sound I usually get in 50 tones. 

If it sounds good or the signal is bouncing around I usually dig.  I switch to all metal to hear the grunts and then determine to dig or not to dig. 

• Like 1

Not really seeing an issue here other than a confirmation that the 1 and 2 modes are working as designed.  Park/Field 2 modes (and gold modes), being weighted to higher frequencies will hit on low profile, small targets better than the 1 modes, as designed.  The "small" dime sized round target will of course trip the one mode because the detector is designed to hit round objects hard regardless of size or composition or mode.  I seriously hope ML does not break something in the process of trying to fix a marginal, at best, issue.

• Like 2

What I have gotten from reading the postings here and on other sites about the Park 1 "coin on edge" issue is that (1) it's not an issue with Park 2, but at the price of a little depth; and (2) the issue may provide argument in favor of digging certain one-way signals.

No scientific tests, but on a related note, in places with a lot of old, iron trash and nails, I have had more luck with Field 2 than any other mode in finding silver Mercury dimes.

It's all about the odds, so the best approach is probably just to test out the modes for yourself on actual hunts (including switching modes on found targets before digging), to see which is likely to get you the most finds in the places you hunt. 

• Like 3

On 5/29/2018 at 9:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

some worse, and with one machine some coils will be good and others not so much.

Long story short, if detecting coins on edge is your thing, maybe there are better options than an Equinox.

But don't you think the Equinox not seeing a huge 1oz coin directly under the coil is an issue?

Park 2 and field 2 hits it...but beach 1 and 2 does not.

I'm primarily a beach hunter and surely a machine which was said to be good on the beach and has 2 beach modes should be able to see a big silver ring and a big silver coin under the coil in these modes?

My X-Terra and Deus hit them at all angles in any mode with consistent VDI...but in beach mode Equinox does not.

Surely this is an issue??

Matt.