I Just Did A Coin On Edge Test....

9 hours ago, staffydog33 said:

But don't you think the Equinox not seeing a huge 1oz coin directly under the coil is an issue?

Park 2 and field 2 hits it...but beach 1 and 2 does not.

I'm primarily a beach hunter and surely a machine which was said to be good on the beach and has 2 beach modes should be able to see a big silver ring and a big silver coin under the coil in these modes?

My X-Terra and Deus hit them at all angles in any mode with consistent VDI...but in beach mode Equinox does not.

Surely this is an issue??

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Whether it is an issue or not is up to you. I prefer to look at it as a fact. It will either stay the way it is or it might change. If you are asking me if this bothers me, well no, it does not. It clearly does bother you.

That said, I personally reported this to Minelab about 4 months ago when steveg first discovered it and reported it. So while it does not bother me, I obviously thought it something that deserved reporting.

I do differ with people trying to make it out like other detectors do not have “issues” with on edge targets. Any knowledgeable detectorist knows otherwise and trying to present Equinox as being unique in this regard is not factual.

I am too busy making finds with my Equinox that other machines can’t find. If I find something with my Equinox that the X-Terra can’t find, I am betting that would bother the X-Terra owner. Why won’t the X-Terra find it? Because they are all flawed? How about the stuff my Equinox finds that an E-Trac misses? Is the E-trac defective? Should not more expensive detectors be able to find stuff that a less expensive detector does find?

All detector’s miss stuff. All I am saying is that this particular problem has long since been noted and discussed. It is a fact. Minelab may or may not change anything regarding it. Great, we all on the same page.

You know how many silver dollars I have found in over 40 years of metal detecting? One. Half dollars? A handful, most over 30 years ago, with the one I found last year with my Equinox the first in a long time. If any were on edge I did not know about it. The fact is these are rare large targets, the odds they are on edge even lower. From my perspective the risk odds here are statistically nil.

But that’s just me. You may feel very concerned about this and I am not belittling your concern. The question is what to do about it? As I said, maybe it will change with an update in the future, maybe it won’t. Your only decision left to make at this point? Keep your Equinox or not. That is your decision to make one way or the other. If this makes you not like the Equinox, I get it. Ditch it and use something else. Not so worried about it, think a fix may be coming.... then keep it.

The only decision that is in my court that is relevant is that all further discussion of this topic will be limited to this thread. Any posts about it elsewhere will get moved here. This forum is for people who like, enjoy, and want to have fun with the Equinox. Beating a dead horse for months is not fun - it’s beating a dead horse. If you are still an Equinox fan despite this, then hang around. If your only reason for being on this forum is to reintroduce this now old subject over and over on unrelated threads.... there are other forums that kind of stuff.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If your only reason for being on this forum is to reintroduce this now old subject over and over on unrelated threads.... there are other forums that kind of stuff.

Believe me,  Matt is taking advantage of that fact.  This particular dead horse is being dragged to several venues for its beatings.  Lol.

All kidding aside, for dry sand beach hunting where this MIGHT be an issue, nothing prevents you from using Park 2 or Field 2, if you are that worried about it, Matt.  Those modes will work just fine in the dry sand (wet, not so much).  Not many, if any, other detectors would even give you that option if they had a similar "blind spot".  Accordingly, IMO it is a non problem and that is why I am concerned ML might actually TRY to fix it and inadvertently break something I DO care about.

Furthermore, theoretically, the Beach modes, being low frequency weighted, should not hit that hard on gold, either.  Far from being histrionic about that, folks are killing it out there plucking gold goodies off the beach.  In fact, I have found my Equinox gold targets exclusively in Beach mode.  Fretting about a very niche, low probability target situation is not worth getting stressed out over, IMO.  If you are not finding keepers at the beach with Equinox (where it impresses me the most), then, yeah, Equinox is not your cup of tea.

20180616_140536.gif

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Matt,

Whether it is an issue or not is up to you. I prefer to look at it as a fact. It will either stay the way it is or it might change. If you are asking me if this bothers me, well no, it does not. It clearly does bother you.

That said, I personally reported this to Minelab about 4 months ago when steveg first discovered it and reported it. So while it does not bother me, I obviously thought it something that deserved reporting.

I do differ with people trying to make it out like other detectors do not have “issues” with on edge targets. Any knowledgeable detectorist knows otherwise and trying to present Equinox as being unique in this regard is not factual.

I am too busy making finds with my Equinox that other machines can’t find. If I find something with my Equinox that the X-Terra can’t find, I am betting that would bother the X-Terra owner. Why won’t the X-Terra find it? Because they are all flawed? How about the stuff my Equinox finds that an E-Trac misses? Is the E-trac defective? Should not more expensive detectors be able to find stuff that a less expensive detector does find?

All detector’s miss stuff. All I am saying is that this particular problem has long since been noted and discussed. It is a fact. Minelab may or may not change anything regarding it. Great, we all on the same page.

You know how many silver dollars I have found in over 40 years of metal detecting? One. Half dollars? A handful, most over 30 years ago, with the one I found last year with my Equinox the first in a long time. If any were on edge I did not know about it. The fact is these are rare large targets, the odds they are on edge even lower. From my perspective the risk odds here are statistically nil.

But that’s just me. You may feel very concerned about this and I am not belittling your concern. The question is what to do about it? As I said, maybe it will change with an update in the future, maybe it won’t. Your only decision left to make at this point? Keep your Equinox or not. That is your decision to make one way or the other. If this makes you not like the Equinox, I get it. Ditch it and use something else. Not so worried about it, think a fix may be coming.... then keep it.

The only decision that is in my court that is relevant is that all further discussion of this topic will be limited to this thread. Any posts about it elsewhere will get moved here. This forum is for people who like, enjoy, and want to have fun with the Equinox. Beating a dead horse for months is not fun - it’s beating a dead horse. If you are still an Equinox fan despite this, then hang around. If your only reason for being on this forum is to reintroduce this now old subject over and over on unrelated threads.... there are other forums that kind of stuff.

Dude...why so defensive?

I love my Equinox and am 100% keeping it.

Im just saying that in my opinion, in beach modes it should hit big silver.

Hey, maybe i am wrong, perhaps its not designed to hit high conductors right under the coil.

I was just confused why my mate's AT Max gives consistent good tone and Id when on edge and so do both my other machines, but Equinox doesn't.

If i had a choice to only keep pne machine...i would still keep the Equinox and happily bin the others.

Trust me...i love my Nox and to get me to not use it somebody would have to shoot me in the face and prise it from my corpse...lol.

I just wish Minelab would have opened up the VID a bit as the numbers are all grouped into the same small bunch on so many targets.

0-99 would have been better, but there we go. 

I will and am learning to live with it and love it.

Its a good machine...just have to pretty much dig everything.

My apologies for saying it how it is and voicing my opinion.

Anyway...theres been a mini storm Hector here in parts of the UK...and even though it's 11:18pm and pitch black out...im off to the beach.

Guess what im taking? My Minelab Equinox 800....wahhoo.

Please god...let the weather have stripped 6ft of sand off the ?

Matt.?

19 minutes ago, staffydog33 said:

Anyway...theres been a mini storm Hector here in parts of the UK...and even though it's 11:18pm and pitch black out...im off to the beach.

Guess what im taking? My Minelab Equinox 800....wahhoo.

Please god...let the weather have stripped 6ft of sand off the ?

Don't forget to use Park 2 on the dry sand so you don't miss out on all the on edge silver... the results might just "shock" you... HH

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 3:22 PM, staffydog33 said:

Dude...why so defensive?

I love my Equinox and am 100% keeping it.

Im just saying that in my opinion, in beach modes it should hit big silver.

Hey, maybe i am wrong, perhaps its not designed to hit high conductors right under the coil.

snip....

My apologies for saying it how it is and voicing my opinion.

Matt.?

Matt, you and I are having a communication problem. I am not being defensive. You asked for my opinion directly so I gave it to you. I also am the forum admin who is quite sure that members who have been here longer than you have heard about this quite enough.

I have agreed that this is a real issue so commenting that the Equinox is not designed to hit large silver right under the coil is again either not reading or not understanding my post. There is no reason to apologize per se because your concern is valid. The thing is, you only need to bring it up once or maybe twice. Minelab heard about it already, and so repetition gets you nowhere. After a couple times you really are just trolling the forum.

I am therefore, just like the "loose rod" issue, telling you and everyone else that if we get new posts on this subject they will be consolidated to this thread. You and anyone else who feels like continuing to discuss this are more than welcome too - as long as it is on this established thread. Nobody is saying you can't post about it all you want, but let's keep it all on this thread. That seems pretty simple to me.

I honestly am not concerned about whether anyone likes the Equinox or not. My only real concern is keeping the forums running smoothly.

Metal Detectors & Coins On Edge

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Got it in the right spot so we are good. Thanks.

Phew.

Why do you reckon its having a bit of trouble?

Coz its limited to a certain VDI on the Equinox and the machine is trying to read higher or something?

Sorry for my lack of forensic analysis there...but, hopefully you know what i mean...lol.

Say for example if the VDI on the Equinox was 0-99 do you think it would then be hitting with zero probs or something else?

Cheers

Matt.

There is nothing wrong per se with the detector.   And whether Minelab deems to modify Park 1 etc is up to them.  This wrapping phenomena of Large High Conductors around into the ground mineral and iron ID area is well understood and has been for decades.

What can affect this?

1. Choices by the designer of the discrimination circuit.

2. Target signal strength.

3. Ground Mineralization.

4. Coil types.

If the Equinox were a one trick pony(beep dig machine) then the user would have to live with the behavior that the designer chose.  And in the past that's what a user would have to do.  If your Acme 7000 XLT acted this way then tough luck, live with it.

But the Equinox is a box full of detectors in one, so push a button and solve the problem.

Now in regards to the beaten horse.  The horse may be dead but several of it's cousins who are jackasses continue to push this as a big issue.  Many consider themselves experts and even own the Equinox, all the while thumping on Minelab for any and every issue.  The hypocrisy they exhibit is demonstrated in the fact that they themselves have discussed the topic of the wrap phenomena at length on other forums concerning other brands and models.  Yet not one peep from them in criticism of those other brands. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LowTide said:

There is nothing wrong per se with the detector. And whether Minelab deems to modify Park 1 etc is up to them. This wrapping phenomena of Large High Conductors around into the ground mineral and iron ID area is well understood and has been for decades.

What can affect this?

1. Choices by the designer of the discrimination circuit.

2. Target signal strength.

3. Ground Mineralization.

4. Coil types.

If the Equinox were a one trick pony(beep dig machine) then the user would have to live with the behavior that the designer chose. And in the past that's what a user would have to do. If your Acme 7000 XLT acted this way then tough luck, live with it.

But the Equinox is a box full of detectors in one, so push a button and solve the problem.

Now in regards to the beaten horse. The horse may be dead but several of it's cousins who are jackasses continue to push this as a big issue. Many consider themselves experts and even own the Equinox, all the while thumping on Minelab for any and every issue. The hypocrisy they exhibit is demonstrated in the fact that they themselves have discussed the topic of the wrap phenomena at length on other forums concerning other brands and models. Yet not one peep from them in criticism of those other brands.

Nakky

images.jpg

• Like 1