I Just Did A Coin On Edge Test....

There have been some posts on various sites about experiments with on-edge coins, rolls of coins, stacks of coins, etc.  A lot of digital detectors seem to produce anomalous results when confronted with high-conductivity coins not displaying the expected profile.  I'm sure that, on the whole, digital processing is superior; but this is one area in which the old analog machines are probably harder to fool.

• Thanks 1

Do you think the Equinox is trying to read over 40 on the VDI...but because it is limited to a maximum of 40....that's why it cant give a signal on it?

Minelab obviously see it as a problem as they have personally replied to me in an email and said the engineers are seriously looking into it.

Matt.

Mark G. did another video on this issue -- with gold coins and a gold ring.  IMO, Mark's videos are always meaningful.

• Like 1

Yup that video matches my experience. There are many good signals that are misinterpreted when the sweep is not overlapping. It's easy to adjust though if, when you get a confused hit, you go back and overlap and also use different angles to listen.

• 1 month later...

Not to drag a month old dead horse back to the top and beat it again and please forgive me if what I'm about to say has been posted already.

Having said that, have you guys tried lowering the iron bias and repeating these tests?

Having just picked my 800 up I've been reading everything I can find on it which lead me to this thread. The iron bias setting made a world of difference with a large silver on edge when I tried it. 

Again, I apologize if this is old news.