E-rock-tic Formation

Question for those that fantasize about geology,  don't  know what this is, some kind of agete, or petrified amber? Interesting formation anyway, came from someplace in China, a friend of my wife had it and gave it to her because she liked it. 

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

• Like 2

Hi 1515Art... I don't know what it is and I won't make a wild guess either. However, thankyou for posting these extraordinarily clear, well-exposed and framed specimen photos. It is a beautiful sample, hopefully someone here will be able to make an ID for you. :cool:

Jim.

• Like 1

Well its got some interesting eye candy ? for a picture rock.  Hehh.  Honestly though its a challenge to put a lable on.  Two characteristic definitions :  Chalcedony, Agate.  The bubble *I'll call them that to be polite* like formations are characteristic of chalcedony and the banding in the obverse views are of agate.  Both are the same mineral class~ silicate or quartz.   On the front below the bubbles is what I call druzzy quartz ~ very small crystalline quartz crystals~ also commonly associated with chalcedony/agate.  The druzzy quartz is crystal variety of quartz and chalcedony/agates fall outside of this catagory due to the non-crystalline nature of the silicate.

Though I would not do it, takes away from the mental image, if one were to carefully cut one of the bubbles you'd most likely see further agate banding.

• Like 3

Jim, thank you and DDancer thank you for the detailed information, agate/chalcedony features except for the crystalline structure and looking at it I'm certain you are correct about the banding in the ummm, protrusions, be a shame to cut or polish and much better as a natural specimen so I'll probably keep it as is and let it work for tips?. im still a little confused, so a silicate of some sort are the insect looking intrusions into the backside any clue, or typical features in these minerals.

• Like 1

Steve and everyone thank you, botryoidal carnelian chalcedony, some great pictures on that link. 

• Like 1