phrunt

What Is This Gold Detector?

So I was watching the first episode of the new Season 3 of Aussie Gold Hunters, my favourite gold prospecting TV show and the Gold Gypsies on it appear to be using some odd looking new detector, last season they were using GPX 4500/5000's I believe but this season it's some detector I don't recognise, It sounds like a GPX that's sucked on a helium balloon :biggrin:

It doesn't appear to be a Minelab as Minelab tends to put their branding all over things, I can't see any branding on this detector, is it some sort of QED? Even the coils have no branding.  It looks like you can adjust the balance on the coil by sliding it back or forwards before tightening the nut.

I really like his pick too that you'll see in the photos, It's nice and sharp up the front but goes extremely wide at the back for good scraping, I wonder what that pick is, I would like one.

Any ideas?

--- Update, it's been cleared up already, its a Garrett ATX 🙂  Thanks AU_Solitude  :blush::blush::blush:

1.jpg.27f8781cc33f021b922e43970ac6b9d2.jpg2.jpg.68124f3af0d0629098026878ad6f5b4f.jpg3.jpg.8cd891eac837c3c9785a0eda627c3abd.jpg4.jpg.f042859dbca8c2e4166fc40ba2cb46d5.jpg5.jpg.504acb23eaada76b8828ff7bf20dfc8b.jpg

Oh, I've never seen an ATX before, I wonder why they went off Minelabs.  Showing my Greenhorn side again 🙂

Just now, phrunt said:

Oh, I've never seen an ATX before, I wonder why they went off Minelabs.

If I had to guess, sponsorship/publicity. Also, for what they do scraping with the loader the minelab probably offers little advantage; whatever they miss they'll probably hit after the next scrape.

• Like 2

It has to be sponsorship or something, since I knew nothing about the ATX I did some research and of course Steve has filled the void there with the information I needed

I sent you a PM with a link to a nice pick.

• Thanks 1

The Garrett ATX is a wonderful detector hobbled by a housing that adds dramatically to the cost and weight of not only the detector, but the accessory coils. I am convinced that despite it being a step down from Minelab units that it would have had far more impact in the prospecting market if housed in a standard dry land package. An on-going missed opportunity that Garrett seems to have no interest in pursuing. Truly a shame as housing aside the ATX circuit really is quite decent.

As it is it would seem that just like the Infinium before it, the ATX gained wider use and acceptance from water hunters than desert prospectors. Even that appears to be subsiding as the ATX telescoping rod and the internal coiled cable have not stood up too well for those putting them to use in long term “in water” beach detecting.

Garrett did have a serious price advantage versus Minelab when the ATX came out, but Minelab then reintroduced the GPX 4500 at only a few hundred more than the ATX in the U.S. and close to the same price elsewhere. At this point the GPX 4500 is the better buy (unless waterproof is needed).

Garrett ATX Threads

My First Year With The Garrett ATX by Steve Herschbach

post-1-0-47522500-1420392520.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/3/2018 at 10:20 AM, AU_Solitude said:

If I had to guess, sponsorship/publicity. Also, for what they do scraping with the loader the minelab probably offers little advantage; whatever they miss they'll probably hit after the next scrape.

I would say you have hit the nail on the head there AU_Solitude & my first thoughts also. I see both the Gypsies have one. I would still be a lot more comfortable with a Minelab though, but I have never used an ATX but have an Infinium & didnt rate it against my 4500 at all. Coil selection for the Minelab PI's is unmatched & a huge advantage over the competitors. I am of course talking dry land gold detecting.  The ATX has its waterproof ability & will fill the need of many for detecting outside of just gold prospecting. I wish the Gold Gypsies the best of luck.

JW :smile: 

• Like 1

The ATX looks like a military style detector, very heavy looking.

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

To me it's a disappointment, I am 100% certain the Gypsies aren't going to strike any water to detect in around the deserts of Western Australia :laugh:  Perhaps off camera they fire up the Minelabs.

Like AU_Solitude said about the scrape & detect method. Whatever they miss they will probably hit on the next scrape. If they were just wondering about the desert prospecting then the minelab would be king. IMHO. Make that a Zed.

JW :smile: 

• Like 1