Personal Messaging (PM) Read more... ×

Congratulations Simon, you've done very well. The Goldbug Pro can find the small stuff too as you've just illustrated. It works out to 0.32 grains at an inch depth in schist, that's not bad at all. 

Yes JW is a very fine individual who has helped you a great deal. Glad to see you acknowledge him here despite that you found the site and nugget independently. I think that both of you are very fortunate, insofar as genuine, unselfish friendship is not so easy to find. 

WTG :cool:

Jim.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

Congratulations Simon, you've done very well. The Goldbug Pro can find the small stuff too as you've just illustrated. It works out to 0.32 grains at an inch depth in schist, that's not bad at all. 

Yes JW is a very fine individual who has helped you a great deal. Glad to see you acknowledge him here despite that you found the site and nugget independently. I think that both of you are very fortunate, insofar as genuine, unselfish friendship is not so easy to find. 

WTG :cool:

Jim.

Thanks Jim, but without JW I would have walked straight past that flake of gold, I didn't realise you need to smash up schist to find the gold inside, there are countless things he has taught me. I don't mind showing my journey although often embarrassing as I hope it helps others who aren't as fortunate as I am to have a friend who has spent years learning the art.

I looked today and I bought my first detector about 8 months ago, prior to that I had no knowledge of detecting or even knew the hobby existed except for my dabble as a child with a toy radio shack detector.

It's a bit like Mr. Miyagi and Daniel LaRusso in Karate kid, except John's not that much older than me, and a lot fitter 🙂  He's using the chop sticks to grab the tiny gold (flies) trying to teach me how to do it 🙂

I think it was seeing a rerun of Aussie Gold Hunters that got me to buy my first detector.  My wife and daughter say I have metal detector eyes, its rare we go out to do some shopping or for a walk in a park and I don't find a coin or two.  Just yesterday for example we were at a festival of lights in Queenstown at night and we said we'd go buy my daughter a treat at the shop before going to see the lights and on the walk I found the $2 coin required to buy her treat on the footpath on the way there. 🙂  It happens abnormally often.

Combined with the knowledge of an educated local and a forum like this with endless information on the subject and a bunch of people willing to help, I'm doing quite well. Very happy indeed.

I am sure to a lot of people here a .02 gram nugget is a laugh, but to me.. it's a milestone.  People say nugget hunting is the hardest form of detecting, especially where we are and the nuggets are known to be very tiny and few and far between.  I enjoy the challenge.

Simon

• Like 8

nice little picker simon

• Thanks 1

Good on you, Simon!  No one can control the size of their first (alone) nugget...there is plenty of reasons to be proud...which you enumerated very well.

One more thing, not one person was ever born knowing anything at all, especially us misfit, loner gold-hunters.

fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good for you Simon. 👍 That is excellent. Ye Ha. And it wasn't even with the 4500  :biggrin:. Thanks too for all your kind words. :blush: Gosh...my head won't fit through the doorway now. Thanks too Jim for your kind words. It has been a pleasure helping Simon & I am sure we will share many more adventures. 

I haven't been for a detect for three weeks. Have just got back from a long weekend (public holiday monday, Queens Birthday) Mrs JW & I headed to the West Coast with the jet boat. Looking for pirate treasure. I know a story...... The weather was absolutely stunning, with snow low down in the hills. Crystal clear blue skies with heavy frosts first thing in the mornings. Rivers all very low with the snow holding the waters up in the hills. Grounded badly late on Saturday afternoon due to the very low water conditions & sun strike heading back down river. Wasn't a place we wanted to be caught out on in the dark. And it would have been pitch black & very cold if we were forced to stay the night in the boat. Luckily we made it back into deep enough water to get back to the launch site & back to our digs. It was very touch & go & a huge effort. But we made it. Went back up again on sunday. Went further up but we wouldn't have been able to go much further as the river really skinnied out. We left a bit earlier to avoid the sun strike but the glare on the water still made it very difficult to read the river. Scraped the bottom once & thought oh no not again. But managed to skim through it & keep on going. Bloody good fun though & scenery to take your breath away. Didn't find the pirate treasure & it has been two years in the making but not over yet.

Anyway. Congrats again Simon. How was your skiing? Bet it was packed. I think every man & his dog would have been up there. Except for me. :laugh:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Good for you Simon. 👍 That is excellent. Ye Ha. And it wasn't even with the 4500  :biggrin:

I haven't been for a detect for three weeks.

Thanks 🙂  I'm proud, and of all detectors the GBP! :laugh:

3 weeks without a detect? be careful you'll start to develop a twitch and it may not go away, or you might get hiccups that just stay for days until you power on the detector.

Sounds like your secret pirate treasure hunt although wasn't successful in finding the treasure this time was a super fun adventure.  Just the idea of it sounds great.

The weather has been stunning for a week or so now, every night -4 to -6 and a good frost with clear blue skies, it's just been frost on top of frost around here, it looks like snow, and there is snow forecast to hit here tomorrow and the next day so I suspect this lot my hang around for a while as our ground is frozen solid.

Skiing was great, it wasn't too bad as it was mostly just locals up there, the skiing tourists are yet to arrive as it was an early sneak peak ski day before the season kicks off but there is so much good snow I guess they felt they should open up.  I'm certainly no expert skier as I only took it up once moving back to NZ and this year is my first with a season pass, I just have to try keep up with my daughter :biggrin:, kids find these things so easy.  I am a bit disappointed though as I bought brand new 700 dollar ski boots a couple of years ago, barely used them, only 5 or so times and went to use them Saturday and they were broken! the plastic was brittle or something 😞

I was skiing along watching everyone falling over and thinking of all the coins falling out of their pockets and then the girl operating the lift when I was getting on asked me if I lost my car key as someone just handed in keys they found in the snow...   Then when going back to get lunch and seeing everyone pulling off their gloves, with their rings stuck to them 🙂, looking forward to a detect up there with the Nox at the end of ski season!

Simon 🙂

• Like 2

I stumbled across this TV Advertisement on Youtube advertising the Gold Bug Pro and Teknetics T2 to what I can only assume is the African Market.  Thought people might like to watch it.  I understand they're very popular detectors in Africa.

Part 2 of the Gold Bug Pro Ad, it was like a little mini series 🙂

They was also had a Gold Bug 2 video, I wish I owned one of these 

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

They was also had a Gold Bug 2 video, I with I owned one of these 

You had your chance the other week when I sent that link through to you on trademe. But I really think you have the high frequency VLF range pretty well covered. How many can you swing at the same time? I must admit...I have swung two at the same time. GB2 in one hand & the GM in the other. Trading blow for blow. Signal for signal. Would have looked like a right dick if someone had of seen me. I never thought of that at the time. :rolleyes: Mrs JW has conned me into going jet boating tomorrow. Bugger...was wanting to go for a detect. May be Sunday....

JW :smile:

• Like 1