New Detector And Interesting Seated Dime

I had the opportunity do work with my union today and afterwards a buddy had asked me to help him detect a rental property that was having its foundation repaired. I got to use my new at pro for the first time that a buddy had given me today. The site was loaded with iron because they had to take the house and move it off the foundation but that detector with a small coil sure sniffed out some goodies.This was a pretty neat find, it looks like it's stamped backwards or reverse.

IMG_20180603_161647_963.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

Only way that could happen would be if another dime was pressed into that dime.... another dime left in your hole?

This can actually happen at the mint -- a coin isn't ejected from the die and the next strike is made with the previous coin stuck in the die, resulting in a mirror image face.  The numismatic term for this is 'brockage'.  If authentic they can have values in the $50 range, depending upon many variables.  Of course someone playing around with a soft metal such as lead could produce the same result on a bench using a hammer....

• Like 4

That's one heck of a die error!!, and you found it with a metal detector and not coin roll hunting!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

Very nice to say the least:smile:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies and comments. I don't know the history of how it came to be but just another reason why I love detecting so much, the thrill of the hunt and the find, the research before and after, and the great people you interact with. Have a great week everyone.