Newbie From Pittsburgh

James Jackson

Hello, my name is J.J. Im waiting for my first detector to arrive in mail. Garrett AT MAX. Im super excited and would realky like to meet some people to show me the ropes and make some friends. Live near Pittsburgh Zoo. Id love some help. Jacksonpgh824@gmail.Com

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Local clubs can be a great place to start.

North Pittsburgh Past Finders

"Our club, founded in 1987, is dedicated to the fellowship for all age groups in the professional search of buried relics, treasures, coins, and other items reflecting time of the past. We seek to promote the fun outdoor activity to both individuals and groups. We hope to show them the enjoyment and excitement of finding buried treasures through the use of metal detectors. Our goal is that individuals joining our club learn to metal detect through reading, experiencing, attending meetings, and by attending our sponsored groups outings / picnics."

Other Pennsylvania metal detecting clubs

Welcome J.J., both to the forum and to metal detecting.  You've found a great hobby!  If you keep the right frame of mind (Goldilocks says, in terms of your expectations "not to high, not too low, just right!") you'll spend the rest of your life enjoing it.  The AT/Max will perform well for you.  Learn to use it (see, for example, many YouTube videos).  You've done well; now keep it up!

You have a great first detector. Dig like a badger and you will be rewarded. I was new to the game 4-5 years ago and have dumped all my other hobbies in favor of this one. I like to mix it up with Beach, relic, park and gold nugget detecting. This weekend I was under some ski lifts on a steep hill..It's amazing what people drop. Good luck!

strick  

• Like 2