Got My 1st V Nik With The 600... And Some More

Happa54

Planned short morning hunt yesterday in a polluted L.A. park.

I decided to lay off the silvers for awhile and seek my first V nickel. 

Field 2 with factory settings and blocked out mid conductors with 12,13,14 open.

My first coin was a '36 buff in nice condition. Second coin was a worn V nickel. Other nickels followed.

I was blown away at how fast I got these coins. I did dig a few pulltabs too but not too many since I am getting pretty good at identifying nickels based on how they jump around in the numbers.

I think I'll keep running my machine this way for awhile and see how many Buffs/V's I can get over the next several months. 

Thanks for stopping in and happy hunting. 

1-20180609_082528.jpg

2-20180609_140819.jpg

3-20180609_212616.jpg

4-20180609_212658.jpg

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Got My 1st V Nik With The 600... And Some More

Nice nickel trifecta!

Those LA parks have been pretty well pounded, used to be a Minelab ExpSE guy down there that detected them (CaptSE) and he would usually get somewhere around 1000 silver coins per year, unbelievable!!

11 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice nickel trifecta!

Those LA parks have been pretty well pounded, used to be a Minelab ExpSE guy down there that detected them (CaptSE) and he would usually get somewhere around 1000 silver coins per year, unbelievable!!

Yeah Cal.... that would be Dan (CaptSE). I hunt on & off with him. I also hunt regularly with Jamflicker. Between the 2, they are phenomenal silver hunters with their Etrac and Explorer. I could never keep up with them. 

Thanx for stopping in....

Yep.  Dan used to be a regular on the California (Kinzli) forums, but dropped off the radar the past couple of years (I know he has some health challenges).

How's he doing these days?    If you guys get an opportunity to flag some deep silver signals to check on the EQ600 that would be really interesting, I know he had an incredible knack for sniffing out those ultra deep silvers with his Explorer SE. 

GL&HH,
Cal

5 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Yep.  Dan used to be a regular on the California (Kinzli) forums, but dropped off the radar the past couple of years (I know he has some health challenges).

How's he doing these days?    If you guys get an opportunity to flag some deep silver signals to check on the EQ600 that would be really interesting, I know he had an incredible knack for sniffing out those ultra deep silvers with his Explorer SE. 

GL&HH,
Cal

You're right Cal... he dropped off the radar but is back swinging and killing it. I've been in this hobby for 1.5 years and have done quite well due to my aggressiveness, passion and most of all the mentoring I've received from people like Jamflicker and Dan. Jamflicker is active on FMDF and you can see his finds posted there each week. These guys hunt close enough to where we can walk over to check each others signals, which has been great to my learning curve. At this juncture, I can't say too much about the differences between my success with the Nox vs my Safari. I just don't have enough time on the Nox. I look forward to the day where I can pop out as many coins as they do and pass on the experience. 

• Like 2

I'm envious at those old nickel finds!  I've noticed (although it's not yet scientifically determined) that the Eqx is deadly at finding nickels.  As many have noted, it also 'finds' a lot of other targets in the nickel range.  But if you're not allergic to digging trash targets, you're going to get your share of rewarding finds.

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm envious at those old nickel finds!  I've noticed (although it's not yet scientifically determined) that the Eqx is deadly at finding nickels.  As many have noted, it also 'finds' a lot of other targets in the nickel range.  But if you're not allergic to digging trash targets, you're going to get your share of rewarding finds.

You got a Nox, you can do it too...Haha. My Safari is good on nickels and so is the Etrac and Explorer. But thus far, since I am on a nickel crusade, my Nox has been knocking it out of the park. I have a nice pile of niks now but my goal is to collect buffs/V's which just gives me a new challenge instead of constantly chasing the silver. Last year I decided to block out all zinc signals and my silver count shot up but then I had no indians and no doubt missed some other good things too. So there is a trade off here but I tend to focus on one coin species at a time. That's just me. 

• Like 1