Equinox Profile Setting

Surprisingly to me, this is a feature which typically gets swept under the table.  On the RH side of the control module is a toggle switch which allows you to set up a mode with particular settings, save it, and retrieve it with one push of a button.  There are multiple cases where you might want to apply this option.  The obvious one is when you get an 'iffy' signal in your preferred mode+settings and would like to check with other mode/settings.  Different mode?  Different frequency (that is, single freq vs multi), different recovery speed, iron bias, etc?

I'm sure part of the resistance to using this feature is the apparent bug that when turning off the detector in this condition, problems can arrive when restarting.  Hopefully that will be addressed by Minelab for future upgrades.  For me, an additional issue is the difficulty in switching to this feature.  It likely partly has to do with me using the detector left handed, meaning the closest digit to this button is my (short) thumb.  But to make matters more challenging, the force required to engage any of the (left and right) side switches is significant, in comparison to the front face switches.

Personally I wish the front face frequency change button (which I only use on rare occasions) had been swapped with the profile button.  If that were the case I'm sure I'd find a way to take advantage of the profile feature much more frequently.  In fact, I can imagine multiple profiles being useful, although this does complicate the switching required, both for the user and the engineers.

I really appreciate the myriad of settings/options the Eqx has available.  I don't know how this ranks with the universe of metal detectors but suspect it is at least in the top 10.  But, seemingly unfortunately, the difficulty of using the profile option makes it more challenging to take advantage of all these opportunities.

• Like 7

I also thought about this, the user profile could be activated by long pressing of the change of frequency button, just like with the expanded setting button....

• Like 2

Yep, I used to use the switch often to idententify ID 15-16 items, which range from bottletops and pulltabs to 2€ or even rings. But even with the right hand, it‘s such an awkward movement.. you'll have to put down the detector.

This button would definitely do better on the front. The frequency button is pretty much useless during hunting, because it takes to long to toggle between the frequencies and compare signals.