Circulated For A Long Time And Out Of Circulation For A Long Time

Nice going on the seated Norm...the only seated quarter I've ever found was in bad shape also...but they still count! :biggrin:

strick

• Like 2

18 hours ago, normmcq said:

After finding my first silver coin last August....

You were walking back then and now we can see you are running -- nice finds!  The Merc right below the Seated quarter looks to be in fantastic condition.

Without revealing too much, could you describe the site you found the seated quarter?  I'm wondering if the condition is due to the site (e.g. saltwater) or if it just went in the ground that way.

• Like 1

Gb

I am fairly sure that I found that coin very near an oiled road in the fairgrounds. It was completely covered with a tar like substance. It looked so bad that I mistook it for a dirty clad.  I put it in the rock tumbler with all of the other modern coins with soap and water. After about 30 minutes, I dumped the contents out for rinsing, that was when I could see a silver edge. I tried every thing in my arsenal, nothing would clean the tar. I searched the internet for solutions and settled on the electrolysis method. I went out to my garage and built it. After just a few minutes the tar was gone, revealing my Seated Liberty. I am sure it was in that condition when lost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome collection of finds.:biggrin:

• Like 1

When I read the title I thought you had been laid up ... ?

Glad to see you getting out there and getting more.

Mitchel