Tried Field 1 In A Heavily Hunted Athletic Field

Norm S

I went out this morning actually to try out my new Quest Xpointer. I haven't been out in a cpl because of getting my truck ready for my fall road trip with tuneup, tires and battery.  I went to this field I hunted really hard last year with my Etrac and early this spring with my Equinox 800.  I was pretty confident there wasn't much left to find with the exception of a few pennies I knew I had passed on and I knew about where they were because I was going use them for trying different sensitivity and recovery settings. 

When I got to the park I thought why not try field 1 here just to see if I can find any more clad. I set it up leaving open 12- 14 and 21 - 38. I set the sensitivity at 23 and recovery 7. I also used 50 tones. I started to wander toward a spot I knew where a penny was and try out my new pinpointer. 

The foot traffic area of this old field I had hunted really hard with my other detectors knowing I had left a cpl pennies. 1st off I found 3 pennies and expected to find them and about 5' away I got a solid 30 and found a quarter and not far away another one. Well I ended up finding 9 quarters in an area 50' x 450'. I couldn't believe it because I had hunted the exact same area very hard with my Etrac and this spring with my Equinox. 

I hardly believe that using Field 1 is why I found that many quarters  but the evidence seems to point that way. All the quarters were 6" or less deep. I also found 2 dimes. I hunt areas in Park 2 I have hunted in Park 1 and have never found much more in Park 2. 

I am going to try Field 1 in a cpl other places I have hit really hard just to see if maybe I am onto something but I really believe I just missed the clad I found today during my other hunts

• Like 1

I think it's probably just coil coverage, but Field 2 should be similar to Park 1 as far as clad is concerned as they are both weighted to the lower frequencies and hence higher conductors.  There should be no scientific reason why Field 2 Should have performed better than Park 1, unless the targets were masked by trash/iron and missed due to iron bias settings (which are high by default in Park 1).  I frequent a small recreational field that I swear I have covered every square inch, and although it is occasionally refreshed with fresh drops, Ialmost always find older dropped dimes and quarters where I have sworn I previously swung my coil.  

All user adjustable settings being equal (disc, tone breaks, # of tones, recovery speed, iron bias), it is still a mystery to me what Multi IQ secret sauce differentiates Park 1 from Field 1 and Park 2 from Field 2.

I learned a long time ago no matter how hard a park is hunted you always seem to find more in places you thought for sure were completely hunted out. I have probably pulled $60 in clad from that field this year alone. But yesterday really surprised me because I had covered that area so good with other detectors. When I first got my 800 I went there and thought the 800 was a miracle detector because I had hunted the field so hard with my Etrac. I found $20 in clad in my 1st 3 hunts.. 

I am going to beat it to death again tomorrow morning

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I think it's probably just coil coverage....

16 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I frequent a small recreational field that I swear I have covered every square inch, and although it is occasionally refreshed with fresh drops, I almost always find older dropped dimes and quarters where I have sworn I previously swung my coil.

It would be nice to have a drone overhead videotaping the coil coverage on a hunt.  I think that would be very enlightening.

I was out 4 1/2 hours this morning with the Eqx 800 at my favorite park.  The first 3 3/4 hours were fresh real estate but not finding anything older than a Jeffy I decided to spend the last 45 minutes in a section which has produced very well.  I found a Jefferson nickel at about 4.5 - 5 inches and a Wheatie between 6 and 7 inches.  I could have sworn I'd been over the place I found the nickel at least 3 times in the past.  Likely hit the spot with the Wheatie at least once.  The penny was in a trash infested location so maybe it was masked previously (hunted with the F75).  But the nickel should have been cleanly signalled with any of my detectors.  (Hunting in Park 1, noise cancelled and ground balanced, sens. = 21, custom 5 tones, iron bias = 4, recovery = 5, no discrimination.)

I'm agreeing with you, Chase.  At least in my case I'm sure my coil coverage is far from complete.

• Like 2

I've often thought it would be neat to have some sort of augmented reality app with smart glasses that would give you some sense of your swing pattern and coil coverage at a given site as an aid to the detectorist.  GPS alone is not accurate enough to do this so it gets mighty complicated, mighty quickly.