Newbie From Cali

nuggetnewbie

Hi all,

I'm Ray in California. Just got interested in doing prospecting for recreation and enjoying the great outdoors.

Not expecting to get rich, just thought it would be really cool for my wife and i to find some gold nuggets while

we are camping anywhere near possible gold country. Looks like i found the right place with like minded folks

that know a lot more than i do about it. I bought a starter pan kit and practiced a little on our last trip to Sequoia.

Still have to master that, but i started thinking my chances would be better using a detector to narrow my digging areas.

Happy Hunting!

1 hour ago, nuggetnewbie said:

Looks like i found the right place

Yes, you have!

1 hour ago, nuggetnewbie said:

I bought a starter pan kit and practiced a little on our last trip to Sequoia.

Still have to master that, but i started thinking my chances would be better using a detector to narrow my digging areas.

Welcome, Ray.  Lots of good places in California to find gold.  And even more places where it just isn't.  You should consider joining the Gold Prospectors Association of America:  http://www.goldprospectors.org/

for even more camaraderie and lots of information, group claims, etc.  It's easier to find gold with a pan than with a detector since there is a lower limit on the size a detector will react to compared to a pan.  Further, in many sites with gold, the size is so small that no detector will respond.  As Steve has said many times, metal detecting for gold is like big game hunting -- the ultimate challenge.  Still, if you enjoy the outdoors (and it sounds like you do) then getting skunked is the next best thing to finding the oro.  Enjoy!

Thank you all for the welcome!

Just started research on detectors. Don't have $500 to spend on one but it looks like anything less may not be good for nuggets. Any suggestions for one that might work? Maybe Fisher F22 or F44?

Btw. Happy Fathers day to you Dads!

7 hours ago, nuggetnewbie said:

Just started research on detectors. Don't have $500 to spend on one but it looks like anything less may not be good for nuggets. Any suggestions for one that might work? Maybe Fisher F22 or F44?

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here who can advise, but given that it's been 7 hours without any responses I can at least chime in.  If gold nuggets are on your wish list then (general principle, not gospel) you want to be in the higher frequencies.  The Fisher F44 is an excellent low cost detector and it has a first derivative mode which is generally (again, not gospel) the right feature for hunting gold.  Unfortunately its 7.8 kHz operating frequency is far from optimal for that kind of hunting.  Coins and relics OTOH, yes.

I'm a strong proponent of used equipment.  The reality is that for half to 2/3 the price of new you can get used detectors in excellent condition.  Examples of multi-purpose detectors that fit this description (and can be found in the $300 - $350 used price range) are the Fisher Gold Bug (and its sisters, Gold Bug Pro, F19, Teknetics G2, Tek G2+), Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett AT Gold, Whites MXT, and several models by Nokta/Makro to name just some out there.  Definitely familiarize yourself with Steve's detector reviews which cover these and more.  Then check Ebay and also the classifieds on the Internet sites such as this one.

• Like 1

If I was wanting a nugget detector new for as little as possible both the basic Gold Bug and Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold can be had for $499 new. To get lower you would need to go used. I see used Gold Bug Pro units going for $250 on eBay.

Metal detecting for gold is not nearly as easy as you might imagine, and hard enough when you have a decent detector. I would avoid the temptation to get a cheaper coin detector. Frankly, you would be better off with just the gold pan.

Thanks Simon for posting the link to my updated nugget detector guide - that was half my day yesterday and just what this thread needs!