Last night I detected under a tree in a rain storm and still found a 1919 wheatie and today I used the Field 2 program with 5 tones, sweep speed 1, sensitivity 23, and horseshoe mode to find 2 IHs and what looks to be a counterfeit quarter. The settings found the pennies @ 9+" I also used the CGTime Golden Plated 3.5mm MONO 1/8 inch Audio Male to 6.35mm 1/4 inch Female Jack Converter Cable Cord Adapter (25CM/10Inch) to connect my more comfortable headphones.

20180619_170403.jpg

20180619_155637.jpg

• Like 7

Nice finds there. You must have put them under XXXX power to see the dates. I've never seen a counterfeit of any coin. What is the giveaway?

Also If you don't mind, where did you buy the adapters for the headphones? Couldn't find it at Fryes Electrionics nor Best Buy and I've pretty much given up on looking so I had to spend $126 for a pair of Audio Technica because it has the 1/8 plug. I have a great pair of Grey Ghost Ultimates (1/4) that I also paid $125 that I use for my Safari but I can't use them on the Nox.  Wish I could though.

7 hours ago, Happa54 said:

Nice finds there. You must have put them under XXXX power to see the dates. I've never seen a counterfeit of any coin. What is the giveaway?

Also If you don't mind, where did you buy the adapters for the headphones? Couldn't find it at Fryes Electrionics nor Best Buy and I've pretty much given up on looking so I had to spend $126 for a pair of Audio Technica because it has the 1/8 plug. I have a great pair of Grey Ghost Ultimates (1/4) that I also paid $125 that I use for my Safari but I can't use them on the Nox.  Wish I could though.

Good day Happa, I based the counterfeit idea on the dimensions and how it is made of lead. I cleaned it and it made me think twice about the counterfeit claim. I'll post a pic later when I clean up the IHs. I posted a pic of the product from Amazon.Screenshot_20180620-085325.thumb.png.df78f06f8d5e1fa6ad53cd5f22f76a2c.png

• Like 1

I like Field 2 for the type of hunting that I do.  If you get in to a trashy area you may want to raise your recovery speed and see if it helps to ID good targets in the trash better. 

Great job on the coins!

Dean

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bado1 said:

I like Field 2 for the type of hunting that I do.  If you get in to a trashy area you may want to raise your recovery speed and see if it helps to ID good targets in the trash better. 

Great job on the coins!

Dean

Thanks for the tip Dean! I have been playing with sweep speed a bit but I'll take your advice and focus on it more. Now that you mention it, it did seem to narrow down the signals and make a good signal sound better similar to horseshoe mode. The detector does let you know when you have a good target. With other detectors I checked a lot of iffy signals and was rewarded. This one not so. I am not used to not digging most signals but with the Equinox all iffy signals have been junk and good signals a bigger aluminum top or a coin. It is kind of nice ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverteachable said:

Good day Happa, I based the counterfeit idea on the dimensions and how it is made of lead. I cleaned it and it made me think twice about the counterfeit claim. I'll post a pic later when I clean up the IHs. I posted a pic of the product from Amazon.Screenshot_20180620-085325.thumb.png.df78f06f8d5e1fa6ad53cd5f22f76a2c.png

Thank you.... on order

• Like 2

10 hours ago, foreverteachable said:

Thanks for the tip Dean! I have been playing with sweep speed a bit but I'll take your advice and focus on it more. Now that you mention it, it did seem to narrow down the signals and make a good signal sound better similar to horseshoe mode. The detector does let you know when you have a good target. With other detectors I checked a lot of iffy signals and was rewarded. This one not so. I am not used to not digging most signals but with the Equinox all iffy signals have been junk and good signals a bigger aluminum top or a coin. It is kind of nice ?

You hit the nail on the head. The Nox has great tonal qaulities. Iffy sounding targets are usually junk. I mentioned a while back that I am rarely ever surprised by an iffy signal being a good target. Where as, I was often surprised by iffy signals on other machines being good targets. Clive describes this very well in his book. As you use the Nox more,  and trust what it is telling you, your treasure to trash ratio really improves. I believe that the guys who purchased the Nox and then sold it soon after claiming that they were digging more junk than ever didn't spend enough time learning what it was telling them. It's tones are very descriptive.

Dean

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So now i just have to ask..... why would people not use that adapter... or bluetooth and just sell that PRICY little box???

Dean........ i think what happened is ..... like me they bought the machine hoping it would find them smaller gold...... so of course they were digging the heck out of 1 and 2 digit trash.... then throw in bottle caps.  Ya they got frustrated....... especially since many im sure were using machines like the CTX which is a more refined machine.  A couple of guys just bought one i think for a couple of hunts ..... and used it just long enough to ROCK THE BOAT with a little drama.   Im one of those guys who ........ never sells a machine until its paid for its self.... by then ive got a pretty good handle on if i want to keep it.   Im also one of those guys..... that if it works for ME thats all that matters.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bado1 said:

You hit the nail on the head. The Nox has great tonal qaulities. Iffy sounding targets are usually junk. I mentioned a while back that I am rarely ever surprised by an iffy signal being a good target. Where as, I was often surprised by iffy signals on other machines being good targets. Clive describes this very well in his book. As you use the Nox more,  and trust what it is telling you, your treasure to trash ratio really improves. I believe that the guys who purchased the Nox and then sold it soon after claiming that they were digging more junk than ever didn't spend enough time learning what it was telling them. It's tones are very descriptive.

Dean

Thanks Dean, yesterday I went back to the spot I found the silver dimes, quarter, and IH's. The coins were all down 7-9" under fill. I then turned up the recovery speed to 2 and sometimes 3 due to all the fill and decided to dig tones 13 and above and found a few neat relics but then began digging iffy higher signals once more to make absolutely sure that I wasn't missing anything. Let's just say I dug a lot of junk  ? I have found that with higher sweep speed settings deeper iron cut nails do sound off with a higher tone then when using a sweep speed of 1. The 4 decent signals were 2 wheaties and 2 40 oz tops. Even the pepsi bottle tops were distinguishable as junk because they were not smooth tones. I think these days people get so use to having to dig those if he signals since most areas have been hit pretty hard that they're not used to going a while without digging. I know I'm one of those guys. With the equinox I know when I have a good Target bottom line and I've only been out 5 times with it to a figured that out. I got my machine for $550 since Minelab offers a 15% discount and I'll tell you it's money well spent. I found more silver in the first two hunts then I did in the last 2 years and that was one of the reasons while I started fly-fishing more and my detector started getting dust. Now my fly rods are getting Dusty LOL.

• Like 1

I will add that as Dean mentioned the higher sweep speeds did help separate signals betters. If you go from Park settings to Field settings you will notice the difference as well in how the signals stand out more in trashy areas. The two wheaties were found in very trashy areas I had detected previously with a sweep speed of 1. I have been checking signals with different sweep speeds to see if depth is affected and haven't seen a major difference. I have been keeping the sweep speed settings low because I watched an air test video on Youtube showing a major difference during air testing. I am not convinced that lowering sweep speed gives one more depth but I did notice more falsing on cut nails when I raised the sweep speed. Has anyone else noticed it and has anyone seen a difference in depth at higher sweep speeds on actual targets in the ground?