Question On Recovery Speed And Iron Falsing And Depth

I took Dean's advice about using higher recovery speeds in trashy area to separate signals betters. Two wheaties I found yesterday were in the same very trashy areas I had detected previously with a sweep speed of 1. I believe the higher sweep speed on the 600 of 2-3 did help unmask them. If you go from Park settings to Field settings you will notice the difference as well in how the signals stand out more in trashy areas. There seems to be sort of a lag time/longer signal in Park 1 than in Field 2. I have also been checking signals found with a sweep speed of 1 with different recovery speeds to see if depth is affected and haven't seen a major difference. I have been keeping the sweep speed settings low because I watched an air test video on Youtube showing a major difference in depth during air testing. I am not convinced that lowering recovery speed gives one more depth but I did notice more falsing on cut nails and bigger iron when I raised the sweep speed. Has anyone else noticed it and has anyone seen a difference in depth at higher recovery speeds on actual targets in the ground?

I'm not too sure about depth but i can tell you that in very trashy sites I seem to find more good signals slowing my sweep down. I generally only use park 2 but will be trying out field 2 over the weekend so will come back to you.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Question On Sweep Speed And Iron Falsing And Depth
9 hours ago, foreverteachable said:

I took Dean's advice about using higher sweep speeds in trashy area to separate signals betters. Two wheaties I found yesterday were in the same very trashy areas I had detected previously with a sweep speed of 1. I believe the higher sweep speed on the 600 of 2-3 did help unmask them. If you go from Park settings to Field settings you will notice the difference as well in how the signals stand out more in trashy areas. There seems to be sort of a lag time/longer signal in Park 1 than in Field 2. I have also been checking signals found with a sweep speed of 1 with different sweep speeds to see if depth is affected and haven't seen a major difference. I have been keeping the sweep speed settings low because I watched an air test video on Youtube showing a major difference in depth during air testing. I am not convinced that lowering sweep speed gives one more depth but I did notice more falsing on cut nails and bigger iron when I raised the sweep speed. Has anyone else noticed it and has anyone seen a difference in depth at higher sweep speeds on actual targets in the ground?

I addressed this in my response to you on this topic in your other thread here:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/6800-settings-and-4th-hunt/?do=findComment&comment=70565

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not finding that the lower recovery speeds are giving me much in the way of depth, compared to the same on other units, it makes the Nox feel very lazy and laggy, mostly i'm running at 5 or 6 which seems to be a nice balance for my sweep speed.

For myself it's a brilliant player in the top 8" of soil, that's where i've been having fun with it.

• Like 2

I read that response and couldn't agree more I have not had my recovery speed below 5 apart from to try Gordon's 4×4 program. The thing is the equinox appears to me to be capable of dealing with most situations but i do think hands on detecting with the machine and learning the nuances of what it's telling you are a great start. This machine has exceptional target separation speed using it to your advantage will certainly boost your finds rate. I love my 800 in fact haven't used my Deus since I got it and have reworked patches the Deus has hit several times with amazing results. Personally I think Multi IQ has something to do with that as the little French monster is seriously fast as well but im sure most people know that, yet i have found good targets at 3-4 inches that the Deus didnt pick up.

• Like 1

I'm confused if you're referring to "sweep speed" or "recovery speed". The sitting on the equinox for Recovery speed on the 600 only goes to 3. I refer to the sweep speed is how fast I'm moving my coilover targets. Both have any effect on recovering items, and I'm still trying to figure out the best combination sweep speed and recovery. What annoys me the most is the iron falsing at the end and beginning of each swing I seem to be getting a constant chirp while the coil changing directions.

• Like 1

I have found that faster sweep speeds on Minelab FBS machines will increase falsing, and I do notice that a bit on the Equinox as well.  If I am working in iron with the Equinox, I always slow down my sweep speed.  NOT the machine's recovery speed, but my SWEEP speed.

Steve

• Like 1