Equinox " Hack " On Youtube

Nuke em

On Youtube i saw from another forum link that a bloke has found another way to check for bad targets on his 600 . I assume its the same for the 800 .

The Minelab Equinox 'Hack' - Target ID Trick.

Starts at 1.49 minutes

• Like 1

• Like 2

Old hat .. we had that tip several times before :wink:

Nicely made videos, but this technique is not 100% accurate.  Spent a couple hours hunting yesterday and found it to be a nice feature on some trashy targets, but caution must be taken.  After digging several targets that were trash I found myself walking away from some because of this technique.  Then a little later in my hunt I came across a perfect 13 at what I thought to be 6+ inches, did the pump with an open screen and only -#'s, but the audio was perfect doing a normal sweep.  Had to dig and out comes a Jefferson at maybe 5 1/2" deep.  Nice thing to try, but if you feel you should dig, then dig.

• Like 6

To me the whole pumping thing was mumbo jumbo divining rod type stuff (just sweep the coil a few inches off the ground, same as most any detector) with the only real "tip" being using all metal which is the reason why ML smartly made the Horseshoe button easily accessible in the first place.  Another tool just like pinpoint to aid in target recovery decisions which has been discussed repeatedly on this board.

• Like 7

Good point Chase:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

I tried this technique while out hunting the last couple days. I didn't accept it as the end-all; I know better.  What I was tending to see (it's never easy, and I do mean 'never') is that for isolated targets it worked well.  However, isolated targets (for me, anway) are the easy ones to figure out.  For multiple targets near/under the coil it wasn't as helpful.

There are a lot of tricks in metal detecting.  In real world trashy sites your bag of tricks needs to be large.  Even then I doubt there is any 100% accurate method.  If you don't like digging then skip all but the cleanest signals.  If you don't like leaving any (potentially) valuable item in the ground then dig-it-all.  If you're like most you have to find your own happy medium in between these two extremes.  Fill your bag with tricks, but don't expect any (or even all together) to give you Superman's X-ray vision.

• Like 6