Which Mode? And Why?

I learned a long time ago there are only a few people on any forum that give you the real honest info. I pick up bits and pieces from them and often times what they like don't work for me to my liking so I rarely share my settings because I have been criticized in the past by people with less than 2 yrs experience. My settings are trial and error.

My top secret settings are buried with Forrest Fenns treasure so unless you find the treasure you will never get my settings. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Belgy, I had an hour and a half to hunt tonight and took your advice and used Park 2 since I had been using Field 2 with 5 tones. The only thing I changed from factory Park 2 was 50 to 5 tones. There was less falsing in iron than with Park 1 and less noise as well compared to Park 1. I only dug 4 nails compared to triple that with Park 1 my first 2 hunts. It seems similar to field 2 but for some reason tonight I liked it better. Perhaps it was the wetter soil or perhaps I just gave it a chance ? either way I don't think you can go wrong with field 2 or Park 2. The area I was hunting  has seen a lot of fill over older targets and it gets somewhat flooded so I was trying to find  areas of higher ground with a coin signal. When I finally did, just around dark, I found the 42 Merc and then the 41 wheatie. That makes five Silver's in six hunts ? I think that's more Silver's than the last 3 years of detecting before I took a break to pursue fly fishing ? ? ? I have never owned a Minelab detector before and I wish that I hadn't waited so long LOL. I guess not owning one at least gave me a chance to pursue another passion.

IMG_20180625_215732_574.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great saves. Believe me this is different than any other Minelab detector that came before it.  None had this level of recovery speed, and in trashy areas, that makes a big difference.  Since you couldn't get your hands on one before Feb of this year, you really have not been missing out.  You picked a great time to get back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chase, and that is good to hear. I almost bought the Patriot but heard so many great things about the Equinoxes that I went for it. I am so glad that I did. In the area where I detect so many people have gone over the parks, old cellarholes, ballfields, and greens with all the top end detectors including other Minelabs. Going out I always had hopes for great finds but I pretty much knew I wasn't going to get any silver and was happy to find Wheaties and nickels. It is really nice to find silver again especially out of areas that have been pounded. It is probably because they're full of trash as well. This detector seems almost Magic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies and i understand completely everything that has been said by one and all. Foreverteachable I get what you are saying as i have come to prefer park2 as well.

As i have stated I wasn't looking for anyone's settings as i dont need help with the Nox after all it has already paid for itself so i must be doing something right haha. Im also in the hobby for the pure enjoyment of it not for financial gain. I have MS and the times I can get out to detect I value immensely. I was genuinely just interested on what mode people had settled on after having the Nox a while. 

I do see that people are somewhat reluctant and looking at posts I guess I can see why but i asked without even putting mine so here goes.

Park 2, sensitivity 21, recovery speed 4-5 iron bias 1-2 50 tones and so far works a treat I have recently seen a video that makes me think we should dig some of those one way hits with the Nox though.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Belgy! I never mind sharing settings  I'm reluctant to share spots though LOL  but I remember being part of the DFX only  Forum on fine Mall  and that machine was so  quirky  you needed  to share as many settings as you could to get it to work  at Optimum levels . I found a lot of great stuff with it  but I'll tell you one thing the Equinox is much easier  and I'm finding more stuff ? Have a great day and weekend. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 3:23 PM, Belgy1972 said:

Now that we've all had a bit of time to enjoy the Nox whether that be the 600 or 800.

Which mode do you think is the best and why, more to the point what do you think the benefits are over the other modes. I prefer park 2 as i find with the right sweep speed there is very little falsing compared to the others especially field 2.

Hi Belgy

My boring bog standard advice is to start simple and follow the guidelines. Choose one of the modes that seems most appropriate for your locality as per the handbook. Gain experience in that before changing any of the parameters. Use all metal mode to double check the targets for Iron presence, initially dig everything to validate and build a model of behaviour in your mind. Try out different test objects in your backyard - good control environment. I like Field 2, but depends on your environment, I detect in the rolling fields of Devon, but when near to the Farmhouses I use Park 2 as more trashy, but target rich areas. I keep it simple to avoid confusion. Frankly it all depends on where you are and what you want to target. I see that lots of our US cousins focus on coins in Parks, whilst in the UK, many of us are interested in anything old (artifacts) in fields. But then sometimes we get fed up with digging plough shears, horseshoes, eyetubes, shotties, canslaw etc and have days focusing only on coins and digging very few targets and missing out on the interesting stuff. All good fun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1