Detecting Records & Statistics

Hobo mentioned in my other thread that he wish he had kept a record of his finds with various detectors so that prompted me to start another thread under the above heading. 

Keeping a record is something I have focussed on since I owned my 1st detector.

I have written diary records of every trip I have ever taken to the goldfields and due to my statistic type personality I have also created an excel spreadsheet documenting the date of each trip, their destinations and remarks. 

Also I have another excel spreadsheet which displays dates, nugget sizes and the depth of each nugget found along with what coil and what detector (including its setting) that found them. 

A third excel spreadsheet has a record of the total number of nuggets and their total weight from a certain area including the total number of trips to that area using each of my detectors both previous and current. This therefore enabled me to compile the results I displayed in the “Pulse Detector Results” thread.

Finally using the total weight and number columns I can then do a sum for an overall Grand Total Weight and Number of Nuggets found since I started detecting.

Are others out there doing the same?

Part of research is good record keeping.

I keep a diary that forms the basis for my stories at Steve's Mining Journal. Nothing as detailed as what you are doing though. I am more concerned about recording the memories than the gold statistics. One of my smarter moves as my memory for the past is not that good and the stories are fun to look back on now. But I do have a lot of notes about what was found when and where.

These days I am making a serious effort to use a GPS on my outings to map nugget finds. In time this can be valuable information if a pattern develops. Not to mention being able to find an old location years from now.