What Coil Size Do You Most Want For The GPZ 7000?

I'm finding some ridiculously silly tiny itsy bitsy nuggets with the stock coil but smaller would be my second choice mainly for poking into snake holes and thorn bushes. I realize that most of the forum members her have Super Man strength but I only have his good looks so a stock size coil that weighed half as much would be perfect.

• Like 1

20 inch for deeper ground and probably 11 inch for around scrub any smaller and you'll need a microscope to see the nugget you just dug a deep hole for.

I hope minelab are listening!

If they don't bring out a big coil like a 20in round or even better if its bigger there will be a lot of dissaponted pro's out there.

And its us that find the bulk of the gold that make them look good and if we are out there pulling out lumps its free advertising for them.

Give us a 20in or bigger coil!

Any smaller will just not do for us!

• Like 1

I thought it would be interesting to revive this thread in light of the release of the GPZ19 coil to see how close Minelab came to the suggestions. I tallied up the numbers and averaged the large dimension for both small and large suggested sizes but all the info is there to draw your own conclusions.

Next up - I want that small coil. I do think larger first was best for most people but sooner or later a small coil for the rest of us would be appreciated.

minelab-gpz-7000-suggested-coil-sizes.jpg

I disagree - 12 by 10 is only slightly smaller than the standard 14 x 13, so if we are going to have a small coil, lets not have it be just a hair smaller. I would suggest a 9x10 size for a small coil. In WA and other parts of Australia, swinging a big coil is normal, but in so many parts of the US, we have tight conditions between bushes and around rocks where fitting a big coil in between obstacles can be difficult - and create conditions where a nugget cant be detected with the standard 7000 coil because you cant get the coil in close enough in tight spaces to see the nugget. The other thing is the hole size. Yesterday I got a large, deep target with a low-high tone that centered over the middle of of the coil on my 7000. I started digging and when I had excavated a hole over 2 foot in diameter and more than a foot deep, and could tell I was still a good ways from the target. I didn't want to dig a 4 foot by 30 inch deep mining shaft so I could swing the big 14 inch coil inside the hole and pinpoint. So I gave up, and went back to the car to get another detector. Steve happened to be at the car and offered his VLF. So with Steve pinpointing and me digging, I dug down at least another foot deep, but at least I didn't need as big a hole as the standard 7000 coil would have required. Although the discrimination on the VLF was saying gold at one point, it turned out to be a 3/4 inch diameter bolt. I was glad to not need to dig any larger sized hole than I did. Smaller coils will allow better pinpointing and smaller excavations on really deep targets.

• Like 3

Since I don't have a 7000 I would like to see them make a coil that helps you guys find more bullets, iron and shell cases so I won't have to be digging them all up. :laugh:

If I did own one though I would like go with Goldquest and go for a 7X12.  It would fit in those smaller spaces and still give decent ground coverage.