SDC Operation on iPhone

Hi All,

I've been working on something over the last few weeks that may be of interest.

My hearing is ok, but not great. So I got to wondering if there was a way to turn the audio signal of the SDC 2300 into a visual signal that I could see on my phone instead.

After a bit of playing around I managed to rig up something. It's still very green and I am not sure if everything is working 100% as it should, but I will post below some screen grabs of the first test I did today with a small picker.

I placed the gold on the ground and ran the coil over it at a height of about 6cm (3"). I didn't have time to put it in the ground. I'll try that next.

There are three images:

1. The baseline signal of the detector (no gold nearby)

2. The signal when the coil has passed over the gold and back a few times.

3. The signal just as the coil is passing over the gold.

1. BASELINE (NO GOLD)

post-370-0-03588700-1427048290_thumb.png

Watch the small peak at 800Hz

2. SIGNAL AFTER THREE PASSES OVER GOLD

post-370-0-53492800-1427048292_thumb.png

See the ghosted hump above the baseline peak. That area is where the signal jumps to.

3. SIGNAL AS COIL PASSES OVER GOLD

post-370-0-26133600-1427048295_thumb.png

You can see how the baseline peak grows in height (audio strength) and pitch (shift to higher frequency to the right) as the coil passes over the gold.

I would like to be able to expand the area where the action is happening to make it more visible, and I would like to try and see what happens with other targets such as iron, lead, aluminium, copper, even a magnet rock like magnetite. If I had a garden it would be a lot easier, but I have to travel quite far to be able to get to a place where people don't bug me when i have a detector in my hand!

This was an SDC 2300 with an iPhone, but in principle the system should work for any detector and any smartphone.

Richard

ps I hope the images post ok, never uploaded any before...

• Like 1