High-trash Area Prospecting VLF Or PI

"I want something light and easy to navigate with as a first pass, knowing that I am going to be in high-trash areas as a starting point. Once I locate a promising area, I can then switch over to a higher-power detector like the GPZ and work the area more thoroughly."

Perfect! Some areas are just so laden with trash you need a way to figure out where to concentrate your efforts with a GPX or GPZ without digging a ton of junk. I think using a VLF to simply find a nugget and then switching to a PI and working from the nugget as a center point is a great strategy. If no more gold develops, back to the VLF until another nugget turns up, then back to the high power unit. Basically patch hunting in junk, using the VLF to find the indicator nugget, with the big guns for cleanup. Please do let us know how it works out.

• Like 2

Thanks again for all the great feedback. Unfortunately, my scenario is probably not a great one, but I think that I have some better idea of how to attack things now.

I want something light and easy to navigate with as a first pass, knowing that I am going to be in high-trash areas as a starting point. Once I locate a promising area, I can then switch over to a higher-power detector like the GPZ and work the area more thoroughly. 

I will also spend time in low-trash areas with the GPZ and cover more ground quickly. 

The other challenge I have, compared to desert areas, is the land is harder to read vs. the western desert areas. What I mean by this is that the ground is covered with heavy vegetation or years of leaf matter, so the changes in the soil are not as obvious. There are other signs, but not as clear as what I am used to out west. Anyway, this is getting a little off topic, but it would be interesting to see thoughts from folks on terrain like this and how you approach hunting these areas. Hence my focus on starting in the immediate areas of the mines, it should at least be reasonable to think that there will be some close to the older mining areas. 

I will let you know how the MXT does in the area as a starting point.

Best,

Hound

I do a fair bit of work in the dense rainforest here in Australia.

You need to learn about the botanicals associated with mineralization in your area.

Its not just about being able to see the rock or soil I have found plenty of gold by obsering changes in vegetation.

Thanks Gold Hound, that is a good point, and there are some high-level changes in vegetation that are observable, the most common is the presence of evergreen vs. deciduous trees. That starts to mark the boundary of the more highly mineralized areas. Now I need to get to the next level and see what else changes. 

"I want something light and easy to navigate with as a first pass, knowing that I am going to be in high-trash areas as a starting point. Once I locate a promising area, I can then switch over to a higher-power detector like the GPZ and work the area more thoroughly."

Perfect! Some areas are just so laden with trash you need a way to figure out where to concentrate your efforts with a GPX or GPZ without digging a ton of junk. I think using a VLF to simply find a nugget and then switching to a PI and working from the nugget as a center point is a great strategy. If no more gold develops, back to the VLF until another nugget turns up, then back to the high power unit. Basically patch hunting in junk, using the VLF to find the indicator nugget, with the big guns for cleanup. Please do let us know how it works out.

Steve, That's about as good as any info gets, I have been thinking about doing just that and marking the junk before going back over with the PI so as not to forget where it is.

Thanks for posting it,

John

• Like 1