Moving Map Program

I chatted with the library meister at UNV today and he took time to show me google earth and mixing it up with BCN,,,

Overlaying is the neat thing...i didnt know topos (and all kinds of other things) can be overlayed on GE....

we did one example of a topo overlayment onto GE ...and i was hooked....

ARCGIS is way out of my league..2500.00 yr for 5 person subscrition!

... i think using BCN in the field as my moving map....and when i get home, adding all my data for the day back to GE i should be OK----

as long as they are not giving the data to everyone!!!

thx again all !

This is fun stuff...

paul

Now to add to this would a piece of software to allow us to upload to and from our GPZ`s GPS to our moving map software be useful ?

Yep, there are a lot of interesting and useful layers you can add to GE. I have probably 200 or so. You can add mine locations from the USGS and also a couple nice geology layers. You can also add network linked layers like WMS - One of my favorites is the realtime snowpack from NOAA. You can see exactly where in North America there is still snow and how much, it is vital for me to figure out where I can go and where I'm gonna waste time getting stuck. Also to estimate times meltoff will stop for planning dredging trips.

I think Google Earth has realtime navigation too, though I haven't tried so I may be wrong. So you could grab a Google tablet like a Nexus 7 and navigate realtime over your (non-networked) map layers if so.

If you want to get more advanced you can georeference your own maps. For instance the Bureau of Mines has a ton of old hand drawn maps by mining geologists showing geochemistry results, trenching, etc, or higher resolution geology maps, prospect and mine maps, etc. These things are solid gold.

One thing I'm working on (well mostly in theory at this point, other than a few basic runs so far) is doing ultra-high res aerial drone imagery of some of the more popular prospecting spots. It's high enough resolution that you can see individual dig holes for instance. I stitch it all together, georeference it, and I can browse almost realtime ultra-high res custom aerials.

I was going to work on building something like that Norvic but I've gotten so wrapped up in prospecting now that I just haven't had time. That and the fact that after giving the Z GPS a try I've never really used it again since I don't find it that useful and haven't been motivated to work on anything that I won't be using.

I was able to upload claim plots to BCN using GPS Visualizer.... not 100% accurate but close enough if I don't stay near the borders.   Also saved BCN Map so I don't need data connectivity.    I tried Gaia maps for android too - and what I like about their maps is that I can switch from TOPO to Satellite, to road maps. 

Jasong, is not difficult to get wrapped up in gold, good for the finances and very pleasurable too! At present our mobile devices with moving map software is probably the way to go in the field,certainly a valuable tool. Without moving map software on the Z it is limited that way, but it gets that heavy stuff.

• Like 1

The pictures i took of the topo quads this week with my Samsung Note4 at UNR came out 'WAY' better than expected. 

I can actually zoom in on them and am able to read them quite well.

This will work for reference and I am going to try the overlay to google earth when I get a chance like the Library Meister showed me...

Enjoying the process!!

Snowing here now, so we will concentrate on ring hunting for awhile..... why the lakes are down around the ski areas....

paul

[sure would be nice flying in to those areas that are so close to me as the crow flies , but many hours to drive to them]

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

You mention using moving map software called basic Topo. I wish to have a look at such, but cannot find on net. Have you the internet address of it? Whilst I use Oziexplorer I do note there is becoming more such software as user base expands, am always keen to keep up with this tech.