They can strike about 2/3rds of their body length if they are fully coiled up before the strike. A good pair of boots will usually protect you fine. It all depends on how high up the strike is. about 1/4 of all snake bites are somewhere from the knee or above, so its hard to cover all the bases. Best would be a good set of snake chaps. The detector out in front  can help alittle, but it also seems to rile the snake up just in time for you to walk into it. They do not always rattle, but most of the time they will.

The best thing you can do is get to medical help fast. But you do not want to run if you have been bit, that will spread the poison faster.It is also good to know what just bit you. Different snakes require different antidotes. In some areas Im in there are 4 different types of rattlers. They can figure out what you need, but speed of administering anti venom is key, so if you know what bit you, it will help. My friend was bit years ago, first thing I did was grab a shovel and killed the snake, threw it in the back of the truck and got to the hospital. The Dr said having a positive ID of the snake helped alot.

The best thing if you are far away from help is to have a good snke bite kit and follow the instructions. I can tell you that with the drought and warm winters we have had here, this should be a banner year for snakes. Be careful out there.

Thanks Ken,

What exactly is in a snake bite kit anyway,besides a sucker thing? I've heard its not wise to cut into the bite with a razor blade for fear of slicing open an artery? Sure would like to hear from our medic friend Vanurse on this subject? I have a pair of hip high chaps which sure do help at keeping the cactus and thorns from poking me, dunno about snake proof tho? Where do you buy them at and price? Sounds like cheap insurance i need to get....

Good info Ken-thanks for sharing. If bit-remember to keep heart rate low as you can to prevent rapid spreading. Little guys dont know when to stop, so they pump more than needed into victim also heard little guy might have little more potentcy but dont know. I think the winters keep em smaller up here, biggest i ve seen has only been little over 4 ft. You guys down south get some big ones.

Only had two(that i was able to see) that didnt rattle(sleepin?)

Like i said, i ve been lucky in the ole sandals... better find that snake bite kit though and see if still good. thanks again for info Ken.

Ken about summed it up,thanks! We only have one type around me,the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. They come in all sorts of flavors...seen em blonde,brown,dark brown,grey. I actually like snakes,grew up catching them as a kid,even a couple rattlers. But Ive had so many close calls with them,and my eyesight sure aint what it was,now Im close to calling war on them,lol.

My experience is that they very rarely rattle. The worst thing you can do is just start running...they aren't always alone and you cannot always determine their whereabouts...I have stood within inches of some and they didnot bite or rattle...

They can be very difficult to spot, that picture is a great example!

fred

• Like 1

Love the pic Ray - saw that bugger immediately. I always look for the contrasting bands when in thick forbs or shrubs. Tall grass is the worst. I i've also caught many snakes in my life and even afew Rattlers (quit that now that i have kids ). And boy do our NP's have an amazing variety of colors. I love the aqua green variation.The resent snow settm back alittle but i've been waiting to see our local rattlers waken for spring.

I have a friend that wears sandals doing everything like you Spencer  - nutty. I'm a Boots Man unless i'm just chilln around the house and on some slopes my mountains you practically must swim through the poison oak to get to were your headn.

My take on snakes - i'm a field biologist that covers miles of forest and stream a year and cross path with Mr or Mrs rattlesnake nearly daily in the summer months. Your eyes, mind, and ears lastly are your best bet. If you learn the natural history of the snake species you encounter and their daily routines, heading to water or cooler locations as temps get very hot and/or returning to hot spots from the cool areas as the day cools. Area's most likely to den and hunt, ect. Rattlesnakes when cool in early mornings are very lethargic and rarely rattle when disturbed. They can only retreat very slowly and are easy to walk right up on. At this time they usually just try to slowly get away. Later in the day when there gettn hot and seeking a cool spot, shade or the riparian zone typically, they are feisty and much more active. At this time they'll sound off, much more like the hiss from a water hose or pipe spraying than a rattle. Remember that unless stepped on or very near to they only want to be left alone. They wont activly hunt you like some snakes in africa and aussieland. Also unless stepped on they must coil to strike any distance. They will swim rivers with no problem and when doing so usually take a very direct route across. I have encountered thousands of rattlers and have only had afew close calls while i've known others that have been bit when weeding their gardens on an early summer morn. Once you come to understand ol mr rattler you will encounter'm with respect and less fear and will likely be rewarded with some great natural interactions. I've seen rattlers in early morning that layed perfectly still while a pocket gopher i spooked from his run perched on its back not sure what the hell to do. Also seen'm laying near a small stream strike an american robin a very entertaining wrestling match pursued with the snake the victor after a good 20 mins. These observations are of my only rattlesnake sp here in NCal the Northern Pacific not the desert sp though so im sure you'll notice some different patterns but all have a way of the day. The desert snakes are more aggressive. 

Ken hit the medical subject well. I'll ad that you no longer want to turnicate or slice and suck the bite like was taught when we were young. Its better to let the poison spread through the system and not keep it localized - sucking transfers poison. Id-ing the snake and keeping the person calm while getting to help as quick as possible is key.

In my work we spike out many many miles from anywhere in wilderness zones and have only sketch radio reception in places so we preach Awarness at all Times and luckily we haven't had anyone bit in the many years I've been doing field work. At a wilderness first aid training course i took last year the instructor did show us a kit they carry in helicopters for firefighters and guys in the filed like me. It was a suction contraption of special design. He had never had to use it though. 

Thanks for postn the pic Ray and keep enjoy you F19.

Hopefully the long winded post provides some knowledge

AjR

• Like 2

Your absolutely right,Fredmason! Yeah,ours are usuallt pretty docile...not like the diamondbacks Ive encountered in Az...those guys are downright mean,lol. Funny,know your not supposed to run,but when it went off,flight instinct took over!

Good write up FFH! My craziest encounter...was fishing Hogan Lake with my son. Sun was setting,hiked up a hill tochange glasses. Heard what I assumed was a rabbit coming down the dry grass toward me..mthats when a big 4 footer landed nearly at my feet! Seems he caught some speed coming down on the slick,dry grass.

• Like 1