Metal Detecting & Prospecting Library
This page has links to a collection of online "books" about prospecting and metal detecting subjects of interest. Most of these were actual printed books or brochures that are now available as html or pdf documents. In the case of pdf documents especially you can download and save these creating your own library of essential information. Many of these are out of print and hard to find so we are very lucky they are being scanned and made available on the internet.
- Principal Gold Producing Districts of the United States 1968 USGS Professional Paper 610 by A. H. Koschmann and M. H. Bergendahl - A description of the geology, mining history, and production of the major gold-mining districts in 21 states.
- Placer Deposits of Alaska 1973 USGS Bulletin 1374 by Edward H. Cobb - An inventory of the placer mines and prospects of Alaska, their history and geologic setting.
- Metalliferous Lode Deposits of Alaska 1967 USGS Bulletin 1246 by Henry C. Berg and Edward H. Cobb - An inventory of the mines and prospects of Alaska and their geologic settings.
- Gold Prospecting Research Material for Alaska - Detailed prospecting resources for Alaska.
- Placer Gold Deposits of Arizona 1972 USGS Bulletin 1355 by Maureen G. Johnson - A catalog of location, geology, and production with lists of annotated references pertaining to the placer districts.
- Gold Prospecting Research Material for California - Detailed prospecting resources for California.
- Placer Gold in Southwestern Colorado 1960 by Ben H. Parker, Jr. - Excerpted from The Geology of the Gold Placers of Colorado, an unpublished doctoral dissertation of the Colorado School of Mines.
- Placer Gold Deposits of Nevada 1973 USGS Bulletin 1356 by Maureen G. Johnson - A catalog of location, geology, and production with lists of annotated references pertaining to the placer districts.
- Placer Gold Deposits of New Mexico 1972 USGS Bulletin 1348 by Maureen G. Johnson - A catalog of location, geology, and production with lists of annotated references pertaining to the placer districts.
- Placer Gold Deposits of Utah 1973 USGS Bulletin 1357 by Maureen G. Johnson - A catalog of location, geology, and production with lists of annotated references pertaining to the placer districts.
How Metal Detectors Work by Mark Rowan & William Lahr -
Originally published by White's Electronics as a booklet P/N
621-0395. Basic but rather technical information on how induction
balance and pulse induction metal detectors work.
Metal Detector Basics and Theory by Bruce Candy - Bruce is a
co-founder of Minelab and the man behind their most advanced
designs. This information delves into much greater detail than the
above link and has many more illustrations and diagrams.
- Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector by Dave Johnson. Dave is the Chief Designer for First Texas Products and has been involved in designing most of the VLF gold prospecting detectors sold over the last 30 years. This is an excellent primer on using VLF detectors to prospect for gold.
- The History of Metal Detectors, with Emphasis on Gold Prospecting from Fisher by Dave Johnson. A talk given to the El Paso Chapter of the GPAA February 12, 2008.
- Metal Detecting Technologies for Gold Prospecting from Fisher by Dave Johnson. A short essay of key technologies for gold nugget detecting.
- Understanding the PI Metal Detector by Reg Sniff. An excellent, understandable primer on pulse induction metal detectors.
- General Detecting Questions from Tesoro Electronics.
- Common Questions About Metal Detecting from White's Electronics.
- Recommended Recovery Methods by Robert H. Sickler - Do not damage the turf!
- Fisher Intelligence 5th Edition by Thomas Dankowski. Thought provoking articles on aspects of metal detecting not often talked about.
- Advanced Nugget Hunting with the Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector by Pieter Heydelaar and David Johnson. This out-of-print book is a good basic text on nugget detecting. Although it uses the original Fisher Gold Bug as an example the information applies to most nugget detectors. Part 2 by David Johnson is an excellent primer on hot rocks.
- Head-To-Head Comparison Testing by Thomas Dankowski. It is not as easy as it looks! Why people get different results testing metal detectors, and how to do it properly.
- Halo Effect & Related Ground Oddities - from Fisher by Dave Johnson. An explanation of factors that can possibly enhance detector depth - myth or reality?