Sign in to follow this  
31-coinshooting

Someone Have To Ask - Maryland Md's 2019

This post is for the newbies that are still confuse after hours of hours of research to where you CAN, CAN’T or/and MAY metal detect. I’ve seen so many posts in this forum with great finds. Without getting in the discussion of specific places, such as State Parks, County Parks, State Forest, DNR, etc.  Where do you guys metal detect, do not tell me everyone is hunting ONLY in Private Land! I think people should share their experience, I’m not talking about telling the location of your jackpot, I’m talking about where are YOU hunting, most important what kind of LAND it is. To clarify, I’m just trying to resist to the fact the LAWS, REGULATIONS, RANGERS, OTHER PEOPLE are just making this lovely Hobby harder every day. Finally, before you criticize my thoughts remember when you started this hobby and compare to where this hobby is taking us now. Just like when they say it does not hurt to ask, have you ever ASKED permission to metal detect in a City park?

26 minutes ago, 31-coinshooting said:

I think people should share their experience, I’m not talking about telling the location of your jackpot, I’m talking about where are YOU hunting, most important what kind of LAND it is.

Welcome, 31-c!  Much of metal detecting is making good judgements based upon what is known and what can be reasonably determined.  In regards to where you can search, one approach is to assume you need permission anywhere you hunt and then contact officials for permission.  I don't like this option for the simple reason that on public property, caretakers often don't know and possilbly will take the safe route of answering 'no'.  Always ask permission on private property.

What I do is web searching.  For example, most city parks have websites.  If they don't say anything about metal detecting then (IMO) it is safe to assume it is OK.  Similarly with public schools.  Only on one occasion have I been approached (by school security guards) and although they said we couldn't hunt, they were very unantagonistic and even polite.  We just said "OK, we though ti was allowed..." and then departed without issue.  On dozens of occasions I've been seen by officials and they either ignore me or smile and greet in a friendy manner.

National Parks are off limits.  State Parks and State Forests vary by state (and even park).  Look at theiry websites.  BLM land and National Forests are under the 1979 Antiquities Act.  My simple interpretation of that is that keeping coin finds is OK, regardless of age, but relics over 100 years old need to be left where found.  This is a non-lawyer view.  Others have different approaches and they should reply, too.

If you happen to have a local metal detecting club, join and get advice from experienced members.  Also learn respectful recovery techniques.  If a passersby notices you are carefully restoring the sod/soil/ground to its original conditions s/he will be relieved and unoffended.

The main thing is to be polite and respectful if someone in authority approaches you.  Even if you are in violation, most will give you a 'pass' as long as you heed that advice.  If you get testy, all bets are off.

Good fortune in your future hunting, and please post photos of your finds.

• Like 3

Sounds like you guys are hurting back east....I hunt where the treasure is and very seldom get bothered by anybody...maybe its because they think I'm just a poor old man out trying to have a little fun? 

strick

• Like 1

I hunt mostly in city parks, public beaches, National Forest, and BLM land. I never ask permission to hunt public land. I know the rules permit what I am doing so I don’t have to ask. I do get a metal detecting permit to hunt city parks if such a permit is required. I almost never hunt private land but if I do it is with the property owners permission.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      We should have known earlier.  According to Clay at My Land Matters:
      Mining is exempt from lockdown Did you know mining activities have been declared an essential industry? Mining is on the US Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency's ‘Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce’ list.
    • By Lunk
      I'm strictly a detector operator, so when a friend asked me about the ins and outs of dry washing on public lands, I was at a loss. I told him that I would ask the knowledgeable folks here on the forum. Specifically, is dry washing considered casual use of the land, just as metal detecting and panning are? Is a mining claim and/or notice of intent or plan of operation required for motorized dry washers? Thanks in advance for your insights!
    • By softhorse
      Good mornin' y'all-
      I have done several hours of solid research this morning about lode staking and I have not found conclusive answers to theae two questions yet. These questions are only for the initial time you actually discover the lode area and place the monument on the diacovery, before sending in any paperwork/filing forms/fees, etc. If you have any experience with these specific areas of lode claim staking here in CA, I would very, very much appreciate any advice, experience, and or details you have to share. Thank you very much for your time, experience, and your help. 
      1. Does the discovery monument need to have a written/filled-out notice of discovery paper/sign attached to the actual monument or posted anywhere around it on day-1, or, does it simply just have to be a bare monument with no posted notice/wtitten sign?
      2. If a written/filled-out notice of discovery paper/sign is required on the center monument at the initial staking of said Lode claim, do I need to list my personal address of residence with my full name posted on the sign? I'd like to maintain whatever privacy I am allowed to keep while also following all of the related rules/regulations/laws. I do not have a separate business set up that I could put on the sign either.
      Thanks again and have a rockin' day!
      Kevin
    • By Gold Hound
      Hi Guys
      I've started this post to inform members and non member detectorists that the NQMA  (North Queensland Miners Association) is lobbying the Queensland Mines department to change access laws to EPM's (exploration tenements)
      The proposed change would ban detecting and prospecting on exploration tenements without the consent of the tenement holder.
      This would effectively ban metal detecting in any gold field as they are mostly covered by exploration tenements. Whats worse is that more than half of the members of the NQMA are detectorists or hobby prospectors. And they are using the money from their yearly fee's to lobby for this change.
      This change is the brain child of James Said the current president of the organization.
      I urge members and non members to contact the NQMA and voice your concern about the changes they are lobbying for.
      To contact the NQMA please email info@nqma.com.au, please reference the best contact below in your email.
      President – James Said
      Vice President – Graham Byrne
      Secretary – Lyn Byrne
      Treasurer – Michele Mobbs
      Native Title Officer – Paul Crossland
      Publicity Officer – James Said
      Feel free to spread the word 
      Regards
      Dale
    • By Sourdough Scott
      This is a great response.  Had to share. 
      http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Owners-Response-to-Govt-Request-to-Access-Property-to-Count-Yellow-Legged-Frogs-is-Priceless-trending/
    • By jasong
      Please, no rants, opinion, or anything off the topic. Mining only. Claims should be substantiated and supported with valid sources and evidence. Anecdotal evidence is not useful here. Please be able to cite which particular law or regulation an abuse or overstep is occuring upon. I'm especially interested if such a regulation is in violation of the General Mining Act of 1872.

Federal only (BLM, EPA, DEQ, USFS, etc), unless it's a state issue where they are clearly violating federal law.

I've read about people's complaints online for years. So let's imagine that over the next few days we have someone's ear who is in a position and has the power to really change things for a moment and is interested in truly representing the people. What would the mining community take that opportunity to say to them?