Tesoro Factory For Sale

On 5/22/2019 at 12:29 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Very sad, they made some of the very best audio machines I've ever used.  Very distinctive audio ID.  Loved the Tejon.

They did. They had some really unique tones to some targets. I was surprised when I first tried one. Was getting junk and a few bullets then got a buzz signal, never forget it, thought that's odd and dug up a 3 gram bit. They stagnated though for quite a while, this doesn't surprise me. Actually I thought they had already folded. 

So sad...they just never invested in new tech or new ideas. A company stagnated & fallen. RIP Tesoro. Jack Gifford will be rolling in his grave ? I was a huge Tesoro fanatic back in the 80's and 90's.... Mayan, Diablo, Diablo 2, Toltec 100, Bandido, Lobo, Dingo, Golden Sabre...many a dollar was spent by me and my Brother on Tesoro gear. Found my oldest coin ever with a Golden sabre, found over 100oz of gold with the Mayan and the Diablos, Lobo and Dingo. Found almost 1 tonne of meteorites with the Diablos..... If they'd have competed with the big 4 in terms of tech and innovation over the past decade, I'd still have their detectors in my arsenal.  

• Like 3

Tesoro’s were like Twinkies. As soon as they’re gone everybody wants one. I’d love a Sand Shark.

• Like 1

Impressive commercial property? Not from my view. It looks as though everybody zombied up and walked out. I’d offer them 40% below wholesale for the inventory assuming it wasn’t just post-its and toilet paper.

What a way to go out without a word to its customer base. A simple email would have sufficed.

• Like 4

On another note I just picked up a great little Compadre on the bay a few minutes ago. Looks to be in solid condition and has a return option. So that’s cool.

• Like 5

On 5/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, phrunt said:

I hope they release the schematics so people can start taking on the major repairs themselves.  They're probably sitting on one of them shelves in a folder drawn up in the 1990's by the sounds of it.

That’s a great idea phrunt. Seems like the owner should archive all the info and have it available for free or purchase.

There is a glimmer of hope.  A fellow who not so long ago advertised mods on Tesoros has relocated and although he isn’t set up yet he expects to be able to offer mods and perhaps repairs in the not too distant future, I believe he has schematics for at least some of the machines.

He isn’t ready to go public yet, but at least it is a glimmer of hope. I have been in contact with him but he has asked for no further disclosure till he is in a position to do something useful.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Oddly enough, the Tesoro website is still up and running, showcasing the New Mojave, as though nothing had happened.  You would think someone would have posted a suitable notice, explaining the situation with the company closing down.  I can only suppose whoever is/was in charge at the end simply didn't have the heart for it, and I guess I can understand that, too.

As for whether existing Tesoro detectors are still worth something, of course they are.  I acquired both of mine used; neither has required any service, and both still work just fine.  I would hesitate to recommend buying a new Tesoro because of warranty concerns; but I'd have no problem with a used, working unit in good shape.

• Like 1