Jim Straight Passes Away

I'm sad to hear this news also.

Jim was a mentor either personally or with his writings to a huge number of gold hunters. 'Follow the Drywashers' is an enduring classic for anyone interested in metal detecting and prospecting. 

Thank you Jim, God speed, you will be missed.

• Like 1

He will be missed by many I'm sure. I'm glad we had a chance to speak a few times in email and always wished our paths would cross in the field, Jim seemed like a genuinely good person and a pioneer electronic prospector to boot.

When I first got into nuggetshooting, I learned a great deal from Jim’s publications. And a few years later I was fortunate enough to hunt with him in the northern Nevada goldfields. And then several years ago I ran into him in Randsburg, where he graciously took me on a geologic tour of the area. I will always remember his sense of humor and passion for prospecting. Rest in peace my friend.

• Like 4

It is always a sad day when a great mind in our gold hunting community has passed away. It is a loss to all across the globe. You are very right Chris about a loss of knowledge and secrets with each one of these legends passing. I never met him, but it's a loss. I felt this loss when my two old timer miner friends, George Kornec  and Clay Lewis passed.