Jim Straight Passes Away

Jim was an honorary member of our gold club, the Valley Prospectors of San Bernardino. It was always special when he attended meetings. He loved to share general knowledge and had great stories. A few years ago the club even named a claim after him. I wish I knew him better. His legacy lives through his pioneering books on nugget detecting.  

So many successful “old timers” in this have passed away without sharing their hard earned knowledge and understanding.  Jim Straight, along with a few others (relatively) did the opposite by sharing what they know or knew.

He will be remembered amongst our ever growing numbers for he has left a legacy of his published knowledge to help us along in our adventures.

May his sole Rest In Peace, a true legend of our time.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that Jim has passed.  My very earliest days of metal detecting were greatly helped by Jim.

I have his books and the ICMJ articles in my library.  I will dedicate my summer searches to Jim's memory.

Bugler

• Like 1

Had some great correspondence with him over the years, and he was a supremely helpful person, and he always made me feel like he'd known me a lifetime, a rare person indeed.

Thanks for the notification, as I was beginning to wonder why he had gone silent on some of his ongoing threads.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:37 AM, Lunk said:

"Rest in peace my friend"... 

I remember Jim Straight called Lunk "young man" so long ago, when he first saw Lunk meticulously gridding a known gold area in the northern Nevada desert.  

The first and only time I met Jim Straight, was at a gold show in southern California.  At that time he was carrying his tiny new granddaughter in his arms.  Great memories!

• Like 4

So sad to hear this. Jim was one of a handful of guys who went out of their way to help me out when I was a keen rookie with many curly questions. I hope he knew how much he was respected. RIP 

• Like 1