24 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's pretty cool, seeing all those bobby pins makes beach hunting seem a lot like gold hunting, instead of bobby pins I dig shotgun pellets ?

Do you use a DD on the beach on the GPX?

Shotgun pellets suck too :sad: I get those on my land hunts. They sound like nice, small, deep targets. I always use a DD coil on the beach. I've had great success with them. I takes me 1.5 - 2.5 hours to get to a beach depending on which one I go to, so I just use what works and never ventured into the mono coils much. I will never learn anything new until I stop finding things. Then I probably would say "why didn't you try that mono coil earlier dummy?" :laugh:

51 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, I've only used my 4500 once on the beach and I left my Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO on it but I'm thinking I probably should have put my 15x12 DD Commander coil on it.  I should give it another go.

That was my go to coil for a long time, relic hunting as well. Now I use the Detech coils and they work great (and waterproof too).

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Bobby pins are a pain - one of my least favorite targets.

They come in better than they should. I almost want to ignore them but they intrigue me just enough to get me to dig them :laugh: 

Last beach I was on I started to pick up bobby pins. Never encountered one until I started to use a PI.

Thinking I should start hitting your beach as it appears to be bobby pin free now ?

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, kac said:

Last beach I was on I started to pick up bobby pins. Never encountered one until I started to use a PI.

Thinking I should start hitting your beach as it appears to be bobby pin free now ?

We can swap beaches, so I can rid yours of them. :blink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I can imagine bobby pins scream on the GPX, tiny little broken bits of wire are regularly found here on the gold fields, I don't know what they're off but often about 1/4 of an inch in size but they scream like a big target.

Im convinced a lot of those little wiry things, we get em here too, are from broken off ends of broaches, pins and stuff like that. Found lots of, over the years, broaches, decorative type badge things, all minus their pins or with broken ones. Same for old safety pins and the likes. Im sure that doesn't account for all of them but I'm convinced it does for many. Scream in don't they!?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:52 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

I couldn’t resist the good weather and one final beach hunt. First beach I hit was invaded by 3 bus loads of teenagers and a small pack of little kids. I think it’s one of those religious outings. One minute it’s quiet, the next minute it’s total chaos :ohmy:. So, I left to another beach and finished the hunt. This one is all GPX, as my metallic cuff for the Equinox was not in yet. I found a little bit of clad, with a decent amount of copper Wheats/Memorials and some nicely toned nickels. The good finds were limited to a Mercury, silver Roosevelt, silver wave ring, and a silver earring. No gold this time. Not a spectacular hunt, but a good way to end the season. Next week starts the archaeology detecting season that should go right into November. The last two pictures are from 2 seasons of CTX, Equinox and GPX hunting of beaches. I know a lot of people dread pull tabs, (especially park hunters) but on the beach Bobby pins and tent/canopy stakes kill me. Nothing like digging 16” looking for a stake that is really on the side of the hole at about 10” But I guess we all do our share of cleaning the trash from the beach.

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

Top haul.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:52 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

I know a lot of people dread pull tabs, (especially park hunters) but on the beach Bobby pins and tent/canopy stakes kill me.

It would take me a couple dozen hunts to dig that many pulltabs from my parks!  I hope they are quick to recover.  As usual it pains me to see that gray patina on your silver coins, but the IH, OTOH, looks better than my 'dry land' dug ones.  Wish it were a '77 or late 60's.

• Like 1