• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lunk
      Hi all,
      It’s been awhile since my last post, but I’ll be sharing some knowledge and anecdotes more often, now that my summer job is a thing of the past and I’m free to once again roam the desert southwest, wielding the power of the mighty Zed to unearth nature’s golden treasures.
      I was carefully gridding (or - in deference to Gerry in Idaho - crawling) an old nugget patch during a recent trip to the far flung reaches of Nevada’s golden triangle, when the hypnotic drone of the threshold was suddenly broken by a sharp, double “wee-ooh, wee-ooh”. This type of response typically heralds a small and shallow target, usually within six inches of the surface. “Most likely a boot tack or bird shot”, I thought to myself as I crouched down and scraped an inch or two of the dry and dusty desert soil away from the target zone with my pick. Another swing of the detector coil indicated that I had moved the target, and a quick sifting of the material with the hand scoop revealed a small yellow nugget...the first catch of the day! A few more of these shallow pickers were dug during the the next couple of hours, and then I heard a faint, single “wee-ooh”. Knowing that this meant a bit larger target at depth, I went to work hacking into the densely packed soil with my pick until...well, I’ll let this short video tell the rest of the story:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzmm1pgdrpaswe7/Nugget dig.mov?dl=0
      The actual weight of the nugget turned out to be 5.6 grams, bringing the total for the day to over a quarter of an ounce of the good stuff!

• By oneguy
      Nice today so I headed out but the sun never did come over the mountain so I cut it short as my feeties got cold....lol  Dredge piles gave up this cute little .800 gram noogie!!!!!!

I managed 1 more bit and this specimen outta the same area yesterday and got skunked today......

• By 1515Art
      I was running the 7000 hot as I could maxed no filters normal hi yield semi auto SP1 enhancer, this was a soft sweet signal that finally sounded like something other than surface trash down about 4” on a hillside just above a wash in what i latter learned is a heavily pounded old patch with little left to give. It came out in one piece looking rusty and worthy of tossing aside except it was not magnetic so I began scraping, chewing and bending. Yellow began to emerge and that’s when I should have slowed down except it looked more like pyrite to me so I kept working at it and I was surprised it only bent a little before breaking, looking at it now it appears spongy and that may be why it broke the way it did. I’m not actually 100% convinced yet that it’s gold seems like it could be perhaps mixed with something else? This would be the first piece in a new area for me and I’m unfamiliar with hmmm the gold there and host rock and well everything. I was finding a lot of lead and bullet fragments so it seems there should still be more although today only the one (now it’s 4) for me, if in fact it really is gold and not mostly pyrite or something.
      my scale is in Santa Clara so I don’t know the weight?

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Fred made a comment on one of my posts to Mitchel and I feel it needs more input from a variety of hunters and their styles.
      This is results from my last day at Rye Patch (last Saturday).
      My 5 days of hunting had me doing the hoping and looking for an indicator nugget...and I also snail crawled.  Here are my results.  The 2 days I want Prospecting and covering a lot of ground produced 1 nugget.  The 3 days I snail crawled with 7000 produced 25 nuggets.  In fact, my last day was spent in a very small area of approx. 20' x 30' and I found 12 pieces of gold.  10 of those were signals most others have missed and including myself a few times missing them, as I have detected that exact same piece of ground twice.
      I'm much more fortunate than most folks who hunt Rye Patch, NV as I've been doing it for 20+ years and I know the history of the old patches.  Sometimes I go back to those old patches, pick a small section of ground and work the crap out of it.  I especially like sites where I was pulling deep nuggets in years past, as I know those deepest pieces of heavy metal might only make a peep within a small 1 to 3" width.  Don't ask me how or why, but overlapping at least 1/2 and sometimes 1/4 of coil size, per sweep with the 14" coil on the GPZ can produce.
      Lunk and I spent the last day crawling with our 7's and here is a photo of the results.  Both of us and some other well known hunters have been in the wash before.  The old saying it true "You can never get them all".  I just want to make sure I get my share.  
      How do you other Prospectors do it and what is your results when covering ground and snail crawling with a detector?  I look forward to hearing everyone's comments.
      Nuggets on top of dime are Lunk's and the ones on bottom were found my myself on the last day.

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I was able to get down to Rye Patch, NV and meet up with a few old friends, make a couple new ones and have some hard earned success.
      Those of you who drive around out there probably remember seeing the old piece of mining history (notice the bellows at the back lower end).  Wonder how much gold went over that belt?
      Anyway, Here is some of my Success (the golden ones anyway) and a nice crystal.  Total of 26 nuggets weighing just over 15 grams.   
      Seeing old friends & making new ones is another big score for me and so the stories will continue... wish I would have taken a couple pics of them?  Just another reason to meet again I guess.

• By alaskaseeker
      A few years ago i was camped out near the cemetary at decisions corners . I put my brand new 3000 together and drove past the GPAA camp towards Yarnell. I was looking at a bench i had decided to hunt.. Walked up the hill and started to hunt that bench area, I made exactly 2 sweeps and i got that tell tale tone Wee ooop that i knew from then on it probably was gold.. Dug a little and out popped a nice piece of gold..Well i hunted the area hard after that but it was the only gold around... No complaints was very happy with that.....
      I was a little newer in that photo....lol