Buckle ID Help

Hi guys, a fellow forum member here in Australia detected what I presume is an eagle buckle a few days ago (guessing US in origin).  Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

As a side note, we have had a few US Civil War buckles found this year in Oz, most would probably have originated from US prospectors trying their luck our goldfields.

civwar.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Goldpick,

ran your buckle past a group of experts that hunt the California goldfields and hunt primarily for tongue  and wreath buckles. No one is familiar with this one, but the concensus is that it is not American, but most likely Mexican, notice what appears to be cactus below the eagle. In addition, this style of buckle, as do most tongue and wreath buckles, pre-date the American Civil War, and in our goldfields in California are most commonly associated with pre 1860 sites. Perhaps that buckle has some association with the late 1840s Mexican-American War. If I learn more, I'll let you know.

• Like 5

Well done Caprocka quick ggle search brought the same result well done for the ID a snake in his beak as well

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mexican+19th+century+buckle&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHjPPj_LTiAhXpAmMBHS7eDIYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=963#imgrc=_&spf=1558728667108

RR

Thanks for the research and replies, I appreciate it.  Will link the topic to the buckle owner.? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is a great recovery:laugh: