Nox 800 Vs Emi

Horst

At one spot i hit park2 is noisy over sens 16-18 but park1 works much better and can up the sensitivity to 20-22 . Will try the N/C on the ground, some great tips here thanks.

• Like 4

I detect a field just like that. In fact last week or so I found a 1/2 reale right under the power lines. Like others I am sure have suggested by now, my fix was to change into a single frequency. For me 20 worked. In Multi it was unbearable. I also reduced the sensitivity a bit from the max where I usually keep it. 

• Like 3

yesterday I tried what you suggested. The field I hunted has a power line crossing over. By doing the noise cancel with the coil on the ground and reducing my recovery from 6 to 4 (that had the most impact) I was able to run the machine at a sensitivity setting of 22. Except 1 button there wasn't any interesting targets to be found but the machine was pretty quiet. I have been running Field 1 - 2-tone open no descrim. I will try another field maybe today or tomorrow with power lines and cell-phone communication antennas closeby.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Interesting to me is that high recovery speeds tend to enhance EMI by putting a sharper edge on the noise. Settings of 6 and higher are extra noisy, try 5 or 4 instead.

Yesterday I was hunting a curb strip which I'm pretty sure had power transmission lines buried under it.  Even the single frequencies (including 10 kHz, 15 kHz and 20 kHz which usually work fine in my EMI) got noisy at gains 20 and above, and even in the high teens for 10 kHz.  I was able to run quietly enough with motion in Park 1, multifrequency, ground balanced, recovery speed 5, all metal, and gain of 16.  Then I remembered the above tip and tried recovery speed of 4.  I was able to turn the gain up to 19 before the EMI noise equaled that running at gain of 16 (recovery speed 5).

As long as the trash isn't too bad, I've found that recovery speed of 4 works pretty well.  As the nails (in particular) start to get more dense I have to go up to 5, 6, or even 7.

• Like 4

The underground stuff is the worst...there are some parks in some newer residential areas where it is very hard to hunt with any machine. 

strick

• Like 2

using descrimination -9 to 0 helped a lot too. I was able to go back to sensitivity 22. I figured out that Field 1 is not as noisy as Field 2. I am running at recovery 4 and Iron bias 4. The combination of Field 1 / descrimination to 0 and recovery at 4 lets me now hunt places I could not handle before due to too much EMI. Thank's for all your help and input.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought that my EMI filter was faulty until I read this topic. Occasionally my filter will work flawlessly and filter all emi out.  This is extremely rare that this happens and was going to request warranty for this fault. Lols...