Summer Of Oz, Bumpy Start

We started our journey on Sunday from PHX to SFO.  First leg was no problem.  At SFO things deteriorated.  After arrival the airline departure board showed 1 Sydney departure logically in the international terminal 2 hrs hence.  We made our way to the international terminal and settled in for a wait.  I checked the departure board several times, only one Sydney departure showing a minor delay.  At boarding time our boarding passes were rejected, wrong flight.  They really couldn't help us with why there was only one Sydney flight and we weren't on it.  We scurried back up to the main terminal, one Sydney flight now boarding, but upon closer examination a different flight number.  There was no help desk to be seen so in desperation I Googled our flight number.  Google said terminal A, and we were in terminal G.  Again checked the departure board, one Sydney flight showing, not ours.  We discovered that terminal A was a long way from here, after a mad dash we discovered that not only was terminal A way over there, it required leaving the secured terminal and going through security again.  Yep, the security queue was clogged with the unwashed masses and the chances of us making the flight dwindled to nil.  Oh no.  So we went to look for the Qantas desk to try and fix our problem.  No luck, Qantas has windows open from 6:00pm to 10:00pm.  So I called Qantas and got an English as a Second Language(ESL) clerk, barely intelligible given airport noise and accent.  Basically she told me I was F'd and that our entire ticket would be cancelled, no refund.  I knew better than to argue at this point and called our booking agent Orbitz.  Again, ESL but a sincere effort to help.  After some long hold time we discovered that Qantas was closed for the night, but that they would work on it.  I booked a $300.00 hotel room for the night and went out to catch the shuttle.  The hotel clerk assured me the shuttle would pick us up at 12:52.  At 1:25 I surrendered, the hotel said they would reimburse me for a cab.  

Next day, Orbitz came through and re-booked our flight for the same time, same terminal A.  I asked about our baggage, "can't help you there", take it up with the Qantas counter at 6:00pm.  First in line at Qantas 6:00pm they told me that our baggage was downstairs and would be re-tagged and put on the flight.  Are you sure?  Indeed, when you get to the gate you can check with them.  Of course the gate assured us that naturally our baggage was on the flight.   NOT.

Well we caught the flight and I found that economy seats are, well economical.  I had a middle seat for a 15 hr flight.  My row mates were tolerable, but the aisle seat went to sleep and I hated to be an ugly American and wake him up just to stretch my legs.  At about the 10 hr mark, I couldn't resist and woke him up.  He was pleasant enough about the whole thing.  Curiously, the young lady next me boarded very last and arrived in sweaty dither.  She later told me that the Departure board showed only one Sydney flight, the same one I encountered the day before, and that she discovered the mistake in time to sprint through the terminal and security was very kind to move her to the head of the line, just in time to make final boarding.  She was much younger, fitter and prettier than me, so she pulled it off in time.  

We arrived Sydney and went to claim our baggage to clear customs for our continuation flight to Perth.  Surprise, no baggage.  We went to the claims desk to make all the necessary notifications and almost missed our connection to Perth sans baggage.  

To make a long story tolerable, we're in Perth with 3 of 4 bags.  3 arrived at the hotel last night, the 4th won't arrived until after we make our flight to Meekatharra.  Qantas assures us the 4th bag will get couriered out to us verily.  Naturally, that bag has Dennis's detector in it.  I guess he can dig targets for me and Paul in the meantime.

So, the journey begins...  Stay tuned for our misadventures in the Summer of OZ.

I'm typing at 5:00 am local, suffering from jet lag.  Hopefully Steve will edit as necessary.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 3

Good job mate—— good to see you are already learning the meaning of “Harden the Fk up” lolol

This story sounds vaguely familiar.......can’t quite put me finger on it—-how bout a little help Norvic —— maybe you remember some story like this???? Hahahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Good job mate—— good to see you are already learning the meaning of “Harden the Fk up” lolol

This story sounds vaguely familiar.......can’t quite put me finger on it—-how bout a little help Nordic—— maybe you remember some story like this???? Hahahahaha

As I recall, Paul and his GPZ arrived missing some critical brain parts.

It's good to see Qantas and the hotel got my memo ........

I have no problems if you use Paul as a human shield ...

Awaiting culling day proclamation, should be any day now, carry on.

cheers

BB

• Haha 4

It's good that you are getting all your bad luck out of the way now. That can only mean great success once you get to Meekatharra (a great choice of destination imho). You guys will have a huge cheering section during your travels. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

cheers

BB

Yeah BB,

You've got some pull.  Qantas got your memo and gave $120.00 each for our troubles.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

cheers

BB

If they keep having this type luck you will save ammo...lolol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

It's good that you are getting all your bad luck out of the way now. That can only mean great success once you get to Meekatharra (a great choice of destination imho). You guys will have a huge cheering section during your travels. 

They don’t have time to be on the inter web ... so no cheering sections needed... don’t encourage the bears..

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1