Sign in to follow this  
brogansown

Detectors For Coin Hunting

The group I detect with here in Eastern Oregon are mostly interested in gold hunting and we own and hunt with Minelabs, Gold  Bug 2's and a few others.  Many of my friends who are nearing retirement, have asked what I would recommend to hunt parks, schools, etc. for coins and I just don't know what to tell them, realizing that many wouldn't be able to afford some of the new machines.  Could some of you familiar with coin hunting give me a list of their favorites, including less pricey older models.  Thanks Guys.

Gary

Hi my name is Ross and I am from Australia. I have been using a Nox 600 for around 12 months and find it light enough and good for coins and parks  here in Cairns. It sells for around $800 AUS It would probably be cheaper in the US

I have and use an Equinox 800 , it seems to me to be the perfect all around detector....work for both gold and coins.

I think the x terra 705 is the pick of deals at the moment , one very versatile machine and a very good price,  there’s life in the old girl yet.    

• Like 2

The Teknetics Patriot (same as Fisher F70) is still on the market at $400, its introductory price for almost two years now.  This is an excellent coin and relic detector that has an all metal mode so can find natural gold (not the smallest gold since it operates at 13 kHz).  It comes with the F70/F75's top coil -- the 7" X 11" DD.  For those who have a budget that maxes out below $500, IMO it's got to be in the running if not the best choice.  It has the best ergonomics in the business which should be a factor, particularly for the older detectorists among us.  (I have an F75 -- its sister detector.)

• Like 1

For a all round general purpose use detector,very light and possibly one of the easiest machines for setting up my vote would be the T2,had mine since 2006/7 and found me the most gold coins for sure.From the time of starting the machine up and then detecting is just seconds its that easy in terms of setting up.

• Like 2

There are now killer deals due to price decreases in the last year in particular. There is a closely related recent thread here the Comparison Forum that I think will add additional ideas.

And there may be something soon that will ‘Vanguish’ the opposition in that lower price range...

Thanks to all of you who responded.  This will truly help with all the questions at morning coffee and at the Stone House Museum where both locals and travelers stop.   This Forum is really helpful.  I do appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

If they really want something cheap even an Ace 300i would do the trick.  The Ace series are good little coin detectors and the later models that have Target ID's with a 99 number range so would do the job nicely.  An older Ace 350 or 250 would be fine but lacks the Target Id's, They just have 12 notches so they're deadly accurate but a lot of things fall into each notch so they have to be prepared to dig more junk but they'd be so cheap to pick up second hand.  I've seen the Ace 300i which has Target ID's sell for around $180 here second hand so in your money about $140.  Can pay for itself easily at that price 🙂

If they're after good value it's an option and they do the job fine.  If the money is available though they'd be better off with the detectors suggested above as the Ace doesn't have the fastest recovery speed for working in trashy areas and has no manual ground balance if you encounter bad soils but for schools and parks it should be fine.

It's a low budget value option.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3118425#post3118425
    • By phrunt
      I was looking around the new Minelab website and I noticed they now say the Equinox is single frequency on Gold Modes, is this some sort of error or are new Equinox 800's coming without multi-IQ on their gold modes?  I found nothing wrong with MultiIQ Gold modes so I don't see why they'd change it.
      https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-800
      Detect Modes
      Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions:
      Park Field Beach Gold: Gold Mode operates the high single frequencies of either 20 kHz or 40 kHz to detect gold nuggets in mineralised soils.  

• By dan_h
      Used Cherry Pick settings from the Handbook for  a brief session in a local park.  Found a penny, the handle of a spoon.  If it ever was silver plated, that is long gone.  Then found a quarter-sized disk, a token of some sort.  It says "Where a kid can be a kid" on both sides and one side was stamped OTTS.ORG.  I  just tried that website and it is apparently closed.  There was a message to the effect to leave your contact info if you have any business with this site.

Question:  is there something more than the Lesche Predator but less than a shovel -- a mini shovel, perhaps?
    • By phrunt
      What are peoples thoughts on Ferrite Choke's/Core Filters on coil cables?
      I noticed that with my QED detector a Ferrite Filter came with it to clip onto my coil right up the end where it plugs into the control box.  As I have a few coils I clipped one on each of them as I had a few of them laying around, I was a couple short so I'll have to buy some more to do every coil. 
      Seeing the QED uses them I was wondering why other detectors don't so I googled images of coils, Well it turns out they do...

Above is a picture of a CTX 3030 coil, note at the end where the cable plugs into the detector is the Ferrite.
      And then the GPZ 7000 also has one, but Minelab did it the better way by putting it on the wires inside the control box.  This method would work better as the wires there aren't already shielded so the ferrite can work its magic better.

Above is the Wiring Loom, C-Box Coil Connector for the GPZ.   This is the perfect method in my opinion, the wires loop around the ferrite to give the best results and there is a shield wire going down onto the connector.  This could possibly be a method the QED could use in future upgrades to give the best results as putting it over an already shielded wire would limit its effectiveness I would think.
      The filters probably do a better job at helping prevent EMI out of the detector than coming into it, but it would be interesting to know peoples thoughts on them.
      I'm going to order a few more clip on ones to put on my coils I use on the QED anyway as it must need them, these are the ones I'll get, simple clip ons...  5 for $2 🙂

• By Meikle
      My detector has been having some problems lately. I have a teknetics liberator. The other night it was chirping periodically. In the morning it wouldn’t turn on. So I checked the connecting points and put a fresh battery in and the power button still didn’t work. When I put the battery in it would turn on automatically but then would turn off after a short time.
      Has anyone ever had experiences fixing this?
    • By WesM
      Say I'm trout fishing today and find a 4" quartz seam loaded with visible gold (Googly 'gold in quartz and it's as good as anything on page 1). But, the land is already claimed by an armchair 'miner' that actually just uses it as loooong term camping/fishing/hunting space without campground antics and charges plus it's close to a deer layover area. Say I know this for sure since I met his grandkids and son years ago during hunting season and taught them how to snipe for gold on that very stream since the 'miner' was oblivious as to how.
      What would you do;
      Tell him?
      Wait for him to lapse his claim into abandonment or die?