Detectors For Coin Hunting

The group I detect with here in Eastern Oregon are mostly interested in gold hunting and we own and hunt with Minelabs, Gold  Bug 2's and a few others.  Many of my friends who are nearing retirement, have asked what I would recommend to hunt parks, schools, etc. for coins and I just don't know what to tell them, realizing that many wouldn't be able to afford some of the new machines.  Could some of you familiar with coin hunting give me a list of their favorites, including less pricey older models.  Thanks Guys.

Gary

Hi my name is Ross and I am from Australia. I have been using a Nox 600 for around 12 months and find it light enough and good for coins and parks  here in Cairns. It sells for around $800 AUS It would probably be cheaper in the US

The Teknetics Patriot (same as Fisher F70) is still on the market at $400, its introductory price for almost two years now.  This is an excellent coin and relic detector that has an all metal mode so can find natural gold (not the smallest gold since it operates at 13 kHz).  It comes with the F70/F75's top coil -- the 7" X 11" DD.  For those who have a budget that maxes out below $500, IMO it's got to be in the running if not the best choice.  It has the best ergonomics in the business which should be a factor, particularly for the older detectorists among us.  (I have an F75 -- its sister detector.)

For a all round general purpose use detector,very light and possibly one of the easiest machines for setting up my vote would be the T2,had mine since 2006/7 and found me the most gold coins for sure.From the time of starting the machine up and then detecting is just seconds its that easy in terms of setting up.

• Like 1

And there may be something soon that will ‘Vanguish’ the opposition in that lower price range...

Thanks to all of you who responded.  This will truly help with all the questions at morning coffee and at the Stone House Museum where both locals and travelers stop.   This Forum is really helpful.  I do appreciate the advice.

• Like 1