nugget hunter nz

My Thoughts On The Whites 24k So Far And Opinions Against My Gm1000

Interesting read, and thanks for taking the time to post your reflections.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 5

Well done, brother, just exactly the concise, unbiased report that many have been waiting to see. Here in the Mojave Desert my 24k  has found microflakes as small as 1/20th grain (1/9600th of a Troy ounce). With gold at 1,300 USD per ounce, they would be worth less than 14 cents each. Looking forward to more videos! HH Jim 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic report and videos.  The 24K has so much more capabilities and features over my Monster 1000.  Yes I prefer the White's 24K as my VLF Gold Only detector and my 1000 has taken a back seat.  I've bee trying to tell folks that since I started testing it last summer, but when you are a dealer, many people feel you are "just trying to sell".  Well those who know me and purchased one have been quite pleased.

Being a Minelab guy is fine and I too like most of their technologies, but I also realize I need to see what the other brands and models are doing too.  Especially if I am going to sell them and offer Field Training.

Sorry your pooch does not get as excited about it as you do.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I've been trying to tell folks that since I started testing it last summer, but when you are a dealer, many people feel you are "just trying to sell". 

Hi Gerry, Yer...that must be tough. Selling a detector, be it a Whites, Minelab or whatever is all going to be business for you & a dollar in you pocket, but I really appreciate your honesty & seen & heard enough from you over the years to take notice of you & what you have to say. You have used them all & If you like the 24K there are good reasons for that. I can just see Simon now rubbing his hands together.....:laugh:

Nice report nugget hunter nz & thanks for the time & effort.👍 Not that I hold much value on air tests. Be interesting to see results from out in the field. I know how good the GB2, GM 1000 & Nox 800 are on tiny gold. It is very hard to seperate them. IMHO. It just comes down to what features you like or think can help you a bit more. I dig every signal as VDI's mean nothing on those tiny tiny bits, & I am talking TINY. The VDI's can be all over the place or not register at all & only a slight crackle in the audio, only locking on better as the gold gets bigger. I know that if a 24k was a bit more easy to get here in NZ I would have one, I just can't help myself. Got 2 GMT's. 3 actually as I have the model before the GMT, the GM/4B :rolleyes: 

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 5

I'm conflicted about buying anymore VLF's.  The few I have are all about the same in capability once you get to the top end ones.  As JW said it's all down to features and having the features you need.  I'm pretty satisfied where I am sitting now with VLF's.  Once you know to ignore the VDI numbers and dig every little noise you're pretty set with any of them 🙂  Not to mention my wife would kill me if a new detector appeared in a couriers hands at my door. I'm banned from buying detecting stuff at the moment.

I liked your videos thanks Nugget hunter.  I hope to see more in field results from you soon, I'm sure you'll do very well with it.

I like air tests in a way as if it won't see it in the air it's sure as hell not going to see it in the ground so it gives you an idea of how well it will do in optimal conditions.

I know it might be a big ask but in your little collection of gold nuggets there you have some really small ones, the one that you put on your scales that didn't register is quite a decent size chunk so I don't think your scales are very sensitive to the tiny bits.  If you could please get one of the really small ones and do a video at some point of how close to the coil you can get it I'd appreciate that. 

Something this size would be ideal

IMG_20190528_104823.jpg.a1e1dfb47e83eb00ec4bccfd410d470b.jpg

It's 0.011 grams, found with the Equinox.  That photo is zoomed right in so you can see it properly.  I just want to get an idea on the distance from the coil the 24k will pick that size up.    Thanks!

I'm struggling to find a way to give you an idea of the size, here's another photo with it next to a shotgun pellet and a $2 coin to try give perspective as my fingers probably not ideal.

IMG_20190528_110705.jpg.42cf653bf12290a4c4977ef9c9ce9ebc.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

the one that you put on your scales that didn't register is quite a decent size chunk

That was my thoughts too...compared to way smaller ones that I have found with EQ800, GM 1000 & GB2.

Examples: EQ 800 & 6" coil

20180805_124357

20180805_125547

20180824_191436

20180824_184856

20180805_191924

11" coil deadly on small gold too

20180303_201329

20180307_214651

GM 1000 10" coil

20171223_111359

20171203_171129

20171119_162853(0)

20170423_170249

5" coil

20180622_163739

20170430_161814

20170617_222043-1

20180621_180832-1

20180425_124746

20180425_163032

20180425_190421

GB2

20180716_110825

20180718_205036

20180628_153009

20180628_145444

20170828_131448

20171018_165326

All crazy small gold.

Look forward to seeing the 24k with out in the field results. Cheers

JW 🤠

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Fantastic report and videos.  The 24K has so much more capabilities and features over my Monster 1000.  Yes I prefer the White's 24K as my VLF Gold Only detector and my 1000 has taken a back seat.  I've bee trying to tell folks that since I started testing it last summer, but when you are a dealer, many people feel you are "just trying to sell".  Well those who know me and purchased one have been quite pleased.

Being a Minelab guy is fine and I too like most of their technologies, but I also realize I need to see what the other brands and models are doing too.  Especially if I am going to sell them and offer Field Training.

Sorry your pooch does not get as excited about it as you do.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks gerry. 

Yes my self included was very surprised with it. I guess like myself I was reserved about buying on as there just isn't the videos out there or even online reviews.. And I think people get it in their heads that we'll I haven't herd anything so they must not be very good.. I'll deffanitly be putting up a lot of videos on my channel and this weekend I'm planning to get out in the hills see how it goes I have a few targets that I have diliberalty left in the ground in bedrock as I know they are gold but like to use them to test settings responses etc  

Really can't wait to get my hands on the 4x6 coil 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nugget hunter nz said:

there just isn't the videos out there or even online reviews

You have mentioned this several times. Here are three pages of threads about the 24K.

In the past you blew those reports off as untrustworthy. Frankly, in my opinion, now that you are validating the earlier reporting you could at least acknowledge it exists.

• Like 1

Simon, to answer your question regarding how far the 24k will air test on your 0.011 gram (0.169 grain) bit, I just ran tests using 1/20th grain (0.003 gram), 1/10th grain (0.006 gram) and 1/4 grain (0.016 gram) bits. To make this test REALISTIC I did not crank the sensitivity to maximum, rather, I set it up EXACTLY to the in-field settings I personally use here in the Mojave Desert. The reason I did this is that I deplore metal detector dealers who "demonstrate" the "performance" of their machines after adjusting them to settings beyond what can actually be used in the field, and then claiming such distances represent true performance. The settings I used were sensitivity 8, boost 2, and ground balanced to the actual soil, then locked those settings with traclock. I used the 6.5" Concentric. In short, all I had to do was tap the ON button, at which point the 24k automatically reverts to the last-used settings, without further ground balancing or adjustment.  The carefully measured results, using a clear plastic ruler, are .003 gram=1.0 inch, .006 gram=1.5 inches, .016 gram=2.0 inches. In each case the 24k gave clear, audible signals, not "hopeful whispers."  Since your .011 bit falls midway between the .006 and .016 bits, I would estimate it would be detected at 1.75 inches. Looking at the photos posted, I can guarantee you that the 24k is capable of detecting each bit shown. Hope this helps; HH Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Alex dragongold
      Hi all, just wanna show u this find ,was  in a breccia pipe, its not gold but its beautiful too ,cuprite crystal with native copper thanks to the gold monster, regards 👍

• By phrunt
      I have been dying to take my GPX out again with it's new X-coil but the weather hasn't been great the past couple of weeks, a lot of rain which was often falling as snow up in the mountains.  I guess we are coming into winter but the spot I wanted to take my detector is up in the mountains so time was running out to be able to do so, more snow is forecast for the spot in a couple of days so I decided to just go and deal with the weather.
      JW is away on the West Coast so I did this one alone, the same area the giant nugget was recently found in NZ by Nugget Hunter NZ so maybe he'll come back with a giant potato size nugget too.  🤞
      Last time I took it I also went to a spot that has tailings piles down in the lower country and I found a bit of gold there, I'd only ever found one bit of gold in that spot in the ten or so times I'd been there and it was with my Gold Bug Pro.  While I was there a digger was working at the nearby power lines no more than 20 or so feet away from some tailings piles so I assumed the ground he was digging up may have some gold in it.  He was digging a deep trench so I figured I'd go back there once he's not working and see if it makes any nuggets appear within my reach.
      I went to this spot as soon as in arrived in the area, it was about 10am when I got there and there was a thick fog and the ground was frozen solid. 

I knew when I left home I was in for a cold day as it was sub zero at my house when I left but I wasn't expecting the area to have a fog making it even colder.
      I had to use the Equinox as I was right underneath power lines detecting the diggers trench, the Equinox performed well, I was able to run my sensitivity at 24 in Gold 1 while detecting the trench itself which was directly under the powerlines, and I had to lower the gain either 21 or 22 along the side areas beside the powerlines to get it running nice and stable.  

I spent a couple of hours detecting the trench and surrounding dirt the digger dug up but found no gold.  I was wanting to hang around this spot long enough for it to warm up a bit before my drive into the mountains so the road would be in good condition with less ice.  At about lunch time I decided it's time to head up to the spot in the mountains where I got my 1.2 gram nugget with the Equinox a couple of weeks ago.
      Fortunately the road up there wasn't too bad, not as much snow as I was expecting so it worked out well, I doubt I'll be able to go back there in the near future so easily though with more snow forecast

It was now time to fire up the GPX with the 12x6" X-coil, I also use the Steelphase SP01 audio enhancer so I feel I've got a decent GPX setup.  The SP01 really makes the nuggets stand out from what I can see.  With it the target signals are so much more obvious than without it.  I run my SP01 in mode 1 with two GME SPK07 speakers connected to it wired in Stereo to take advantage of the SP01s pseudo stereo mode.
      This ground JW and I have been over a lot in the past few weeks, JW's been killing it there with his X-Coil and I found a bit with my X-Coil the only time I've had a chance to use it there.  The GPZ just seems to punch deeper on our small gold than the GPX especially with his 10x9 X-Coil.

My GPX settings were similar to my usuals, gain of 13, stabilizer at 9 and in Sensitive extra with fixed ground balance.
      There is a spot on this ground where JW found a bit of gold as we were leaving last time... I watched him dig it up and the signal from it was really messy, I assumed he had junk and I think he did too until it popped out.  It's in a spot that's riddled with hot rocks, I can't ground balance my GPX in this particular little area as everywhere underground there is hot rocks... You walk a few feet away and it clears up and you can balance again.   With my EVO coil on I couldn't even detect that particular location JW found that nugget, it was sounding off everywhere on the hot rocks under the soil there, it looks to me like it's a tailings pile that's got some soil over it, off to the edge of the little area is the tailings pile rocks.  It's a shame I didn't get a photo to explain it.
      Seeing the X-coil was letting me detect this little area without going nuts I detected it, I found a bit of gold right next to JW's dig hole where he got the nugget as we were leaving.  I'm not saying JW missed this nugget, he didn't detect the area, we were leaving and he switched off the GPZ after digging the first one in this spot and we left.
      This was the hole it came from

And the bit of gold on the coil 🙂  A decent size for me too, .401 of a gram.

I've been thinking of buying a Go Pro or some sort of Camera to record the occasional nugget find as at the moment I'm trying to use my phone, not easy holding the phone while doing these things but I wanted to try film a nugget signal so people could hear what it sounds like with the SP01 and GPX/X-Coil combination so I was filming every single target with my phone before digging it, this area doesn't have a huge amount of junk so it wasn't that bad, I filmed about 20 targets in total so I had to clean up my phone afterwards 🙂
      Here is the video I took after digging a bit working out this was going to be worth filming, you'll see it's right next to another dig hole, I'm pretty sure that's the one JW got his nugget from the other time, it's hard to know exactly this area is filled with dig holes, JW will probably know.

I continued on detecting the area for some time, I recalled JW saying he found most of his gold in this area on the other side of a fence, so I ventured through the fence tearing my pants on the barbed wire in the process 🙂
      I was finding a lot of junk on this side of the fence, little bits of wire and old square nails and so on so I knew JW either ignored these bad target noises or didn't detect this far along the fence line.  I recorded all these targets for no reason hoping they were going to be another bit of gold!
      After some time I had another target but it was a real screamer, I thought I had another nail or something so I didn't film and started to dig, and I dug up a rock that was sounding off, I thought it must be another hot rock, the X-Coil isn't as bothered by the hot rocks as the Evo but it does sound off on some of them so once I dug and found it was just another hot rock I put it back in the hole and ran the detector over it and filmed it as I was going to talk about the hot rocks and the X-coil in my post.

The GPX goes nuts at the end of this video as I got my phone too close to the coil 🙂
      As this hot rock contained quartz I thought I'd examine it further as usually the hot rocks are green in colour, JW last time I found a bit of Quartz that sounded off on my Equinox helped me smash it up to see if there was gold inside it, we got it down to a tiny little bit that sets the detector off and the rest doesn't.  I've still done nothing with that little bit.  Anyway this time I had my Garrett Carrot with me so I tried to narrow down the area on the rock that was setting the detector off.  The soil on the rock was frozen so I was chipping bits off with my pick but once I got the bulk of it off the Carrot directed me to the spot to clean and I found a bit of gold stuck in the soil which was embedded in the rough rock.

You'll see it in the frozen soil towards the middle of the rock in the photo above.

And that's it once I got it out, 0.457 of a gram!  It wasn't attached to the rock, just stuck in the frozen soil in a hollow on the rock.
      This is how magnetic the hot rocks area, this quite big one is hanging off my pick magnet.

And that was it for the day, for me that's a very successful day, almost a gram in heavily flogged ground, I can't complain, no match for the giant potato nugget that Nugget Hunter NZ posted though 😉   I was very happy with the performance of the X-coil, it's ability to handle the hot rocks is helping me a lot. 
    • By nugget hunter nz
      Still shaking after today I took my 24 k for a walk after spending hours combing the geology maps in my area and picked a random creek to go up and omg did it pan out first piece of bedrock I came to had a parralley crack running with the flow... Not normally gold catching but thought I'd swing my coil over it and it over loaded I turned down the sens and swang again solid 95 on the probability meter on the 24k so I dug down and neally had a heat attach when I saw what poped out.... Came in at 6..78oz
      Also does anyone know how to clean them up 

• By nugget hunter nz
      Admin Note: split from existing thread here
      Hi mate just stumbled across this post I'm in the market for new vlf having had the monster1k gb2 nox800 here in nz the monster eats the gb2 for breakfast on depth size etc and I had to sell as got stuck with alot of Bill's and I've been tossing up between the older gmt and 24k or go back to a monster... what I didnt like about the monster was lack of functions even tho it does its job well I'm a seasoned user and like to tinker ... how do you find the 24k compared to the older gmt ... both in how small will either detect I'm guessing the 24k will or should pick up alot smaller gold ...and qill the 24 on right settings pick up same small stuff as the monster ? I was regurly finding almost sand size bits that wouldnt register on scale ..even tho thwy were pointless to find and sometimes anoying was nice to know I could find them ... any eedbal would be great ... Also do you know if the older goldmaster 4x6 coil is compatible with the 24k I'd love a small coil like that on one I loved the gb2 small coil for bedrock hunting over the small round