phrunt

Is It Worth Buying A Cheap F75 If I Have A T2 And Nox800

So I have a dilemma, I love my Nox 800 and I've found my original green T2 to be an excellent machine, especially now I've improved it's resistance to EMI.  I'm also a bit of a collector of machines 🙂

Somebody is selling an F75 that has DST and was purchased new in 2017 in USA for a very cheap price, I've paid about the same amount for a coil before... it doesn't have any extra coils nor does it have Boost or Cache modes.

Is there much point owning an F75 when I have a T2? They are really similar it seems but the F75 is much newer than my T2 so perhaps it's improved on a number of things.

I've always wanted a machine that can use concentric coils so that's a bonus with the F75 that I can see.   I was thinking it might suit my wife to use for coin hunting, the only type of detecting I can get her to do, she loved the comfort levels of my T2 but hated it's jumpy Target ID numbers when my Nox was rock solid, she always got me to check targets for her as my numbers were so much better so she started using my Gold Bug Pro as it had better ID's but it lacked the depth of the T2 and she complained it wasn't as comfortable to swing for her girl arm 🙂

I always assumed the Target ID range of 50 was a hindrance for the Nox but over time I've worked out it isn't, it bangs on a solid number on a lot of targets, the T2 even though has a larger range of 99 seems to bounce even when it gets a nice solid ID it's always bouncing between a couple of numbers, eg our $2 coins are a solid 21 on the Nox, on the T2 they seem to bounce between 78, 79 and 80 when in a very good range so even though it has a bigger range it doesn't really have a benefit.  It's like my Garrett Ace 350 (Euroace) has a Target ID resolution of 12, so it is rock solid on $2 coins, never skips a beat, even at massive depth it gets the ID right as it's ID range is so small but obviously a lot of other targets will fall into that range also so you'll dig a lot of other targets trying to get that $2 coin.

Is a newer F75 like that going to be giving a better Target ID on coins than my old first edition T2?, I believe it's from 2007. If so it's the perfect machine for my wife, she loves my T2's comfort levels but prefers my GBP's ability to ID targets.

Keep in mind this is a decision based on my wife and coin hunting and not serious coin hunting, the occasional hunt for a bit of fun but I have to make it as easy for her as possible, she likes the comfort of my T2 but wants more accurate ID's.  If I don't make it fun and easy for her, she doesn't want to do it and I like her doing the occasional hunt.  I like it has a backlight too as I often coin hunt at night as I never do it with people around, I hate all the tourists coming up asking me questions like "what are you doing"

My other option is to pay a lot more and get her a Nox 600 but I'm hesitant on that as she won't use it much and I don't like the idea of a fixed battery on a machine that doesn't get used often, I much prefer the AA's of the F75 in that situation. 

Is there anything I would appreciate with an F75 that I don't already have with my other detectors? I should add the F75 has had so little use it's not even flattened the first batteries.

For those thinking I let her use my Nox on those occasions it's not happening, that thing doesn't leave my hands, I'd rather buy her one 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Its a shame it can't use my T2 coils as I have a good collection of them, that's the main thing holding me back at the moment as it only has the stock coil.

It seems they're so close in performance it's not really worth buying it.  I was hoping it would be significantly better for ID's on coins seeing the marketed it as a coin model.

I tried to watch Calabash Digger's comparison videos between the F75 and Nox but he had his F75 running so ratty it had no hope of doing well.  I learnt with my T2 it's better to be far lower in sensitivity and have it run stable to get the best results, it will detect far deeper when stable than ratty and even in low sensitivity goes really deep.

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've always wanted a machine that can use concentric coils so that's a bonus with the F75 that I can see.

I said the same thing and eventually chose the F75 black (LTD) over its less expensive sisters:  T2 and Patriot (~F70).   I had to buy a concentric since the F75 black comes with two coils, but both DD's (7"x11" and 5" round).  After all was said and done, I wish I had bought the Patriot and then added the 5 inch DD.  But of course, if I had bought the Patriot or the T2 I would likely have always wondered if I was missing something (i.e. concentric coil capability and Boost and Cache modes).  AFAIK there aren't many concentric options for the F75 family anyway.

If the main reason you're getting this is to make your wife happy, that might not work out given how close it is to the T2 (which she already has access to).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If the main reason you're getting this is to make your wife happy, that might not work out given how close it is to the T2 (which she already has access to).

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks... I needed someone to convince me it's not worth it as it's just so cheap!!! I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy her a Nox 600, You just don't see second hand Equinox's for sale in NZ so I'll have to go new.

• Like 1

Use to have an F75 Ltd with a fair selection of Fisher coils.

The high gain on this machine in conjunction with the fairly high kHz negates the concentric coil for coin shooting. Doesn’t take a lot of sens to make a bottlecap high tone.

The 5” DD is a nice coil for real trashy spots.

The larger 11”x9” DD is great for relics and glides effortlessly. Got me my fair share of hammered silver.

VDI is pretty useless,... you’ll be looking at it forever till you make the dig decision.

Doesn’t like hotter soil, the depth this machine is able to produce simply dissappears.

ON/OFF Volume switch is located just where you accidently turn it whilst detecting.

Bought it because the Deus had a tendency to adjust itself to EMI without user interaction.

Sold it because I got hold of an MXT All Pro. Liked the MXT better for relic hunting.

Then came along the Nox 800,... and that just obsoleted the heck out of anything else.

Now if coin shooting is something you enjoy now and again. X-terra 705 with 9” 7.5 Khz concentric or 6” 7.5 kHz concentric,... not much coins will be left after this passes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My personal view is the new F75's (plus and LTD) with the DST are so much better performers than the pre-DST models that I would be hesitant to buy one even at a coil price point.   

Since its a true multi-purpose detector you want all the the new modes (FAST, BOOST, & CACHE) to have in conjunction with the old ones (Default, Jewewlry, Plowed Field, and Bottle Cap).  

I like the F75 better than the T2 because any of the audio mode selections can be used with any of the operating modes.  

Its also hot on fine jewelry (read small white gold) out performing many high frequency yellow gold prospecting machines.

HH
Mike

• Like 4

I had the Patriot and was very nose heavy for me and uncomfortable. YMMV!

I would get her the 600 and you can compare targets with different settings when hunting together. I love my 600 with the latest version of the software. Good luck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

I had the Patriot and was very nose heavy for me and uncomfortable. YMMV!

I would get her the 600 and you can compare targets with different settings when hunting together. I love my 600 with the latest version of the software. Good luck!

I hesitated on the F75 for so long I missed out, It sold at a very cheap price too, oh well.. The T2 seems close enough to it I'm not overly missing out.  I wanted to stick to something second hand as I didn't want to spend a lot, I'm doubting I'll ever find a second hand Nox here.  Small market, not a lot of choices.  That was the first F75 I'd ever seen for sale.  California has 10 times the population of New Zealand 🙂  The most common unit on the second hand market here seems to be the X-terra 705.

• Like 1

No matter what these units will continue to be available and at ever lower prices. Nobody ever really gets hurt waiting when it comes to technology. :smile:

• Like 2