Ground Tracking With Equinox

Busho

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A quandary I will have to ponder before posting personal settings going forward.

Steve, I know you want to be cautious about such things and that is good...

But, you always give disclaimers, notices and warnings. I don't see why those ( like me) should be denied any of your most valuable opinions because some one else thinks every setting is the miracle cure....

feel free to delete if I am stepping out of bounds.

fred

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I suspect Busho has more experience with ground tracking that you do Chase and has tried all the options suggested. As he has stated multiple times he is not a newbie. He has offered results and a solution that works for him where he is and that other Oz operators will want to pay attention to. Oz soils in general have a different composition than U.S. soils and so comparing results across continents is somewhat like western U.S. operators comparing recovery speed issues to Florida users results. Apples and oranges and will often confuse more than enlighten.

I do know ground balancing multiple frequencies presents different issues than ground balancing a single frequency and this may be the root of the problem, especially as regards Oz soils. The Multi-IQ tracking may be deficient by Oz standards... that’s my take away from Busho’s post. Curious Busho... have you tried tracking in single frequency modes?

I am only now starting to realize how many people who view posts on the internet tend to grab onto settings of any sort and apply the knowledge as if it’s global in nature when in fact all detector tuning issues are local and differ with the operator and location. A quandary I will have to ponder before posting personal settings going forward.

Hi Steve. Yes have tried single freq and its the same. Its a great machine and I certainly am keeping it. I have tried everything, it is what it is (actually hate that saying but best describes it). Not having, for me, that actual Auto tracking ability doesn't seem to hinder it. Id love it to have an on its own track button/pad though. Funny, in real tame ground, pipe clay tame, it will track some hot rocks diminishing their signal. Some still ping like a metal target but some do track out. So I know in some cases it does track, but the majority of times in bad ground it doesn't. It's saving grace to me is how forgiving it is when it's out. I've had others in the past that are not forgiving, if the EQ was like them I'd be pretty bugged off but it's not so that's ok. Is that "forgiving" when being out of balance part of the issue for not tracking in my situation? A big part of me thinks yes. But anyway, he he, it is what it is. 😁

• Like 2

On 8/20/2019 at 7:49 AM, Chase Goldman said:

When it is all said and done, though, don’t obsess over the GB numbers. For Equinox, the difference in performance  between say 30 and 70 or even 0 and 70 is incremental (compared to other detectors) when in Multi because Multi IQ does such a great job compensating for a less than ideal GB anyway.  Unless you are hearing a lot of ground noise when in All Metal, I wouldn’t fret about about the GB setting.

Referenced in my response below.

17 hours ago, Busho said:

Not having, for me, that actual Auto tracking ability doesn't seem to hinder it.

Bingo.

17 hours ago, Busho said:

Is that "forgiving" when being out of balance part of the issue for not tracking in my situation? A big part of me thinks yes. But anyway, he he, it is what it is. 😁

Yes,  Multi IQ makes it more forgiving to less than ideal GB (as I stated above) than other VLF machines (including FBS machines).  So as long as you can run Multi and unless you hear it chirping with ground feedback noise, having a large GB delta in the numbers should not be too concerning. 

I suspect that the Equinox tracking GB algorithm is trying to trigger off sensed changes in magnetite levels.  If magnetite mineralization is minimal and not the primary mineralization driver in your soil to GB phase number changes, then Equinox tracking could be ineffective.  If detecting heavy alkalai salt soils, beach mode with tracking might be something you could experiment with. 

But bottom line, you can still be effective with Equinox without tracking because Multi IQ is so forgiving to less than ideal ground balancing.  HH

• Like 1