Amazing Day With The 600

Quite a site you've found, and nice work on the recoveries.  Do you have the 6" coil?  I'm curious if that will help find a few more between the iron background.  Does the Standing Liberty 25 centpiece have a date?  How about the Buffies?  Get back there ASAP!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Great hunt, what a site! It always puzzles me how the coins get down in the soil like that, the spot looks like pretty packed hard soil.

Great article on why coins sink on seemingly hard packed ground or on any type of ground for that matter.  Multiple forces are constantly acting to push targets up and down in the ground.

https://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/why-do-coins-sink

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Quite a site you've found, and nice work on the recoveries.  Do you have the 6" coil?  I'm curious if that will help find a few more between the iron background.  Does the Standing Liberty 25 centpiece have a date?  How about the Buffies?  Get back there ASAP!

No 6” for the EQX but will probably go back with either a Tesoro or my Makro wearing a small coil. However I was extremely impressed with the big coil on the EQX.  It was able to separate some targets that I know would have been problematic with an 8” Tesoro or the stock coil on the MakroMK  

No date on the SLQ but does have an S mintmark. Probably the 1917-24 version.  Buffaloes were 14,26,35,36 and two no dates. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Great hunt, what a site! It always puzzles me how the coins get down in the soil like that, the spot looks like pretty packed hard soil.

It was packed sandy clay, fortunately when they tore the slab out it broke most of it up. It would have been part of the school yard from 1915-1970ish when they built this cafeteria on top of them.  Fortunately the building hid them from the couple guys that have told me about all the silver they pulled at this school in the 80s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I love tear outs, you did fantastic, way to go!!

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Way to take advantage of the tear out.

Thanks!!!!  

As the saying goes....”timing is everything”. 

• Like 1