A Few Civil War Buttons

I was able to get back to the CW site today and was able to pick up a couple of first's for me from this place. The Great Coat button and the A button have eluded me since I started hunting the place. Finally the button god had mercy and bestowed it's graces upon me twice. I was hunting an area that I had gone over before, but, this time I went east to west instead of north to south. All the targets were a dig me, no doubt about it hits( I suck) just flat missed them. The bottom button is a 1 piece and looks older than the others, I cannot tell if there's anything on it or not.

My settings were....

Nox 800

Park 2

Recovery 5

Iron bias 2

Sens 19

Auto GB

No disc

2 Tones

Tone break from-9 to +8

11" coil

FF finds 5-26-2019.jpg

IMG_8208.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

Tone break from-9 to +8

Dan, does this mean you accept +9 and above and (mentally) reject anything below that?  Or do you give yourself the option of digging sometimes when less than +9?  Just curious -- I've never hunted a US Civil War site.

That coat button in particular is a beaut.  Again, don't know much about CW relics but I have a feeling this is fairly rare.

AMAZING, beautiful Great Coat button, Dan.  SUPER hunt, once again!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Dan, Thanks once again for your latest display of interesting precious history. Also for the altered tactics which located them. There is a lesson for me to learn. 

Curious to know the approx TID range of the pictured items. And how distinct or otherwise the both tones sound near +8 break or on the margin? How fine a line, or, how much cushion do you believe you are you getting audio-wise for your intended targets? 

Your posts make this relic hunting is exciting. 

You gonna go all in and do west to east and south to north hunts? Keep the streak alive!

22 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Dan, does this mean you accept +9 and above and (mentally) reject anything below that?  Or do you give yourself the option of digging sometimes when less than +9?  Just curious -- I've never hunted a US Civil War site.

That coat button in particular is a beaut.  Again, don't know much about CW relics but I have a feeling this is fairly rare.

The GC button, to me, is just a beautiful button, my buddy had found two, so I was determined to get me one  ?  

On my tone break, from -9 to +8 the tone pitch is set at 1, the lowest pitch possible. From +9 to 40, the tone pitch is 25, I'm listening for any repeatable hit.  The true relic hunters dig it all, I simply don't have the time nor the patience for that. I've dug from 0 up at the beginning and didn't dig anything but slaw, tin foil, bits and pieces of iron, nothing but trash.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Flowdog said:

Dan, Thanks once again for your latest display of interesting precious history. Also for the altered tactics which located them. There is a lesson for me to learn. 

Curious to know the approx TID range of the pictured items. And how distinct or otherwise the both tones sound near +8 break or on the margin? How fine a line, or, how much cushion do you believe you are you getting audio-wise for your intended targets? 

Your posts make this relic hunting is exciting. 

You gonna go all in and do west to east and south to north hunts? Keep the streak alive!

Thank you,  everything in the picture hit between 10-21, the small pistol ball hit at 10 solid, with the GC button coming in at 20-21.   Sometime a piece of large tin foil will bleed over from 8-9 I'll get a mixed low tone high tone while sweeping over the target.  The tone pitch is 1 from -9 to +8 and 25 from 9-40, I do this to keep me from having to listen to 5 different tones. I'm focused on a repeatable tone regardless of the VDI, if it's in my range, I'm digging it anyway. It keeps  it nice and simple for me, my buddy hunts in 5 tones and cannot stand running his machine the way I do and vise-versa. That's the beauty of the NOX!!!

• Like 2