GPZ With Russian 17 Inch X Coil : First Report

4 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Semi Auto locks the Ferrite balance therefore there is no learning in Semi Auto Mode, Auto Mode learns but is a lot different to the original Auto GB mode in the first release software.  In essence in your case you are actually only ever using whatever you locked in originally relative to the temperature so there will be a lot of times where the Ferrite balance is wrong, an easy way to confirm this is to wave the coil over the Ferrite, if there is a BIG signal then your Ferrite balance is way out. IF there is a big signal that means the detector is going to make a noise on any Ferrite-like material in the ground which then means you are going to have unnecessary noise which will then compete with target signals especially deep edge of detection target signals.

You have mentioned ground noise, with Volume as high as you have gone the ground noise response will be extremely variable because you have taken a smooth information packed surface (your Audio Smoothing OFF threshold) and magnified it immensely, this means all the little variations are now very loud which then drown out any edge of detection targets. I note you have lowered your threshold from 27, this is a sure sign of what I am describing. The same could be said for lifting the sensitivity especially in combination with a high Volume setting, however increasing sensitivity can improve signal responses a lot, especially the smaller deep targets.

Deep big target signals are very similar to ground noise, they are slow responses that require careful coil control to be heard effectively. Increasing the Volume too much on any Minelab since the GPX series (Target Volume) will also lift all the surface signal responses potentially drowning out the deeper target signals. This is especially true for Low/High targets which we all crave so much. Using a lower Threshold Pitch really improves the Low/High signals especially below 40. Not having a correct Ferrite balance adds extra uneeded noise to your signal train, if you can remove it why wouldn’t you do so? Any noise that does not need to be there either through poor coil control or bad ground balance or bad Ferrite balance can cost you performance, this is my constant mantra when I am training in GPZ users. I am unsure how you’re actually listening to the detector so some of this information will vary especially with headphones.

Hope this helps and I hope I have not offended.

JP

JP,

I have watched all of your Minelab GPX videos and thoroughly enjoyed them. But, there was not much info on the ground noise discussion we're talking about and there is nothing available on this subject, anywhere on Youtube on the GPZ to aid us in the USA. I wish you could put something together to "train" your friends from across the pond.

My question, related to ground noise issues comes from last weeks GPZ outing at Rye Patch, Nevada where there was significant rains and salty soil. Moisture was at least 2" deep from the surface. I received some "guidance" from so-called experts and ran the following settings:

High Yield/Normal, Sens 18, Vol 9, Threshold 12, Threshold Pitch 60, Vol Limit 12, Auto GB, Smoothing OFF. Using headphones.

I had the Knowledge Base Article with me in the field, but didn't use it. The result was I heard ground noise frequently and slowed down to a crawl. I always GB with the ferrite and only found shallow bits of iron shavings from a dozer and other junk.

What would you recommend?  

Clueless in Colorado,

Bill

12 hours ago, davsgold said:

Hey Paul

If we were a bit closer I could lend condor my patch lead for awhile to use till he gets his sorted out.  360km away is a bit to far, we might eventually get up to where you guys are at, but by then I hope it's all worked out.

cheers dave

no worries Dave,

(Condor) got about 6 g ??? yesterday with his stock set up and that super coil he brought over here from Arizona. 

He’ll post up when we give him enough time to get on the Internet...,Lolol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kiwijw said:

You will get a schematic break down with photos, instructions & precise measurements that show what wires go where & to put a connection back on the coil lead that you cut off the chip connection it is just mirror image. That's the easy part. It then comes down to your soldering skills & precise neatness. Not all soldering irons are equal & there are some pretty fine wires to deal with. Might sound intimidating & scary but it isn't really. If not confident, I was lucky I had Simon as that is his sort of thing, but you could take it to an electronics repair place & all should be good. If I didnt have Simon I would have done it myself anyway. 

The 10" coil is a ripper. Love, love loving it. It does love shotgun pellets?. For the sensitivity it has on tiny gold at depth I just knew that was going to be the case.:rolleyes:

Good luck out there

JW

Thank you for the added info, JW.  If it is just cutting out the chip and re-soldering the connector back on and adding shrinkwrap, I can do that easily enough.

I can't imagine what a smaller 10" coil will get.  (or 10x9)  I have a scale that goes down to .01g, and I already get gold that the scale cannot measure.  Tough to get out of the scoop, but I'm now better at the small gold recovery method.  I don't lose these pieces like I used to. 

Field hunting ... I never got a chance to do that!  I was ALWAYS under a lot of trees and tree litter.

Nice video.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Wow... That signal was a screamer in HY, not that far from overload. If you are completely confident that you gridded that specific spot and that wasnt even a whisper with the stock coil then that's crazy impressive.

Would be awesome to see a comparison of a signal like that if you happen to have a hunting buddy with a stock GPZ, or feel like switching coils for benefit of a vid. If it's that big a difference I for one would void my warranty and forget about resale value as that much difference can easily pay and more.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jasong said:

Wow... That signal was a screamer in HY, not that far from overload. If you are completely confident that you gridded that specific spot and that wasnt even a whisper with the stock coil then that's crazy impressive.

Would be awesome to see a comparison of a signal like that if you happen to have a hunting buddy with a stock GPZ, or feel like switching coils for benefit of a vid. If it's that big a difference I for one would void my warranty and forget about resale value as that much difference can easily pay and more.

All the reports from people who have these new coils are good, and from what I have seen in a week so far they are impressive, much better than the stock coil.

I would like to do comparisons, but I hunt alone, and it was hard enough carting a video camera with small tripod around with me, let alone a stock coil as well ! Not to mention having to swap the coils around, which is not as quick and easy as swapping GPX coils, plus I don't want to be changing too often as I don't want to possibly damage the adapter lead.

Cheers, Rick

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see how the 22x21 goes when we get them Rick. I've also ordered the 10" for crumb finding when things get desperate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, araratgold said:

I would like to do comparisons, but I hunt alone, and it was hard enough carting a video camera with small tripod around with me, let alone a stock coil as well !

Heard! Carrying and packing/repacking all that stuff every target can be a real test of patience. 

Appreciate you taking the time to make this one. Agree with Strick, footage looks real sharp. Good to see a video where I can hear the sounds.

• Like 1