GPZ With Russian 17 Inch X Coil : First Report

My one is a Spiral wound, I actually prefer the spirals for sensitivity and having less rub and bump sensitivity compared to the traditional wound coils. The guy who builds them has not got back to me yet on why this is so. Spiral wound is a lot heavier though. My one also has a mod to get rid of the signal off the Ferrite, so will be a lot quieter in High X soils. It adds weight but runs a LOT quieter!!

Re: the 22x21 "x coil"

Wonder what this mod is?

3 hours ago, jasong said:

Heard! Carrying and packing/repacking all that stuff every target can be a real test of patience. 

Appreciate you taking the time to make this one. Agree with Strick, footage looks real sharp. Good to see a video where I can hear the sounds.

Gidday Jasong,

Thanks. I finally have a good video camera, and it has a plug in microphone that I have covered with some sponge to dull the wind noise. The stock built in microphones are terrible when it comes to windy days !

Cheers, Rick

15 hours ago, Jin said:

My one is a Spiral wound, I actually prefer the spirals for sensitivity and having less rub and bump sensitivity compared to the traditional wound coils. The guy who builds them has not got back to me yet on why this is so. Spiral wound is a lot heavier though. My one also has a mod to get rid of the signal off the Ferrite, so will be a lot quieter in High X soils. It adds weight but runs a LOT quieter!!

This is lifted off a post I made on the Prospecting Australia forum and is referring to the coil making a noise on the Ferrite which I’ve discussed here and which no one seems to be experiencing or are neglecting to talk about.  (Link provided for context) Prospecting Australia Forum

If the coil makes a noise on the Ferrite especially a LOUD noise then logically it will also make a noise on anything ‘Ferrite like’ in the ground. Any unnecessary noise added to the threshold costs depth plain and simple.

JP

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 5:58 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

My one also has a mod to get rid of the signal off the Ferrite, so will be a lot quieter in High X soils

Just curious JP what Mod has been done to your set up to allow less signal off the Ferrite/ground feedback noise?

Cheers Marty

• Like 1

Many thanks for this thread Rick, following it with interest.

Put my order in for a Ruski jobbie last night, eagerly awaiting its arrival.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:07 PM, Marty said:

Just curious JP what Mod has been done to your set up to allow less signal off the Ferrite/ground feedback noise?

Cheers Marty

Hi JP 

Would you like to share???

thanks

• Like 2

There is no actual mod after the fact, its based on feedback I gave during field testing for which they found a work around. Most people reporting here are either unaware or deliberately ignoring the issue (I’ve been pretty voiciferous about it so it must be the latter)?. I’m pretty sure the manufacturer has not included the changes in the final designs due to added extra weight.

Actually its pretty funny when you think about it, maybe they’re called ‘X’ coils because they can make a lot of noise on ‘X’ signals?  ?

JP

It would be good to know if the models being sold now incorporate this change or not, if Dave or the manufacturer could comment.

If so, how much weight does it add? Speaking just for myself, I almost only detect fairly mild ground so if the weight is significant I'd prefer a lighter option even if it has trouble in hotter ground which I never find myself in or could use the stock coil if I do.

I decided to order a 12 and 17 so I can test them for myself compared to the stock coil since few seem interested in doing so in a way that provides the sort of data I want to see personally. I am curious what I will receive, dont want a heavier one if i dont need it... I'm potentially cutting 2+ years out of my warranty (my 2nd gpz) so I want it to be worth it since I cant uncut the wire.

• Like 2