GPZ With Russian 17 Inch X Coil : First Report

4 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Or it could be because a “Coil Not Connected” problem is too scary to deal with?????

Rick, the idea behind the Ferrite is to calibrate the detector so it does not make a noise on X signal in the ground (of which Victoria has huge amounts). When X signal is present it adds additional noise to the audio akin to not achieving a correct Ground Balance, it also means your ‘G’ Balance will try to compensate thereby causing a ripple effect to the general behaviour of your machine. If anyone refuses to use the Ferrite then I HIGHLY recomend they use the Auto Ground Balance mode. 

As an example every time you visit a location your machine will behave slightly differently depending on where the X balance ends up which then affects the G balance, this might explain why some targets are still present (although you have mentioned not finding anything of note for some time at the location).

Using Auto Ground Balance also opens up another can of worms in the form of Salt and Saturation signal, Salt will be problematic on any larger coil on GPZs, Saturation signal is very bad on the X coils. Any of these signal responses WILL throw the X balance out!! This is why I advocate the USE of the Ferrite and to use the SEMI-AUTO mode at all times. Edge of detection targets really benefit a lot from having a correctly set X balance through the use of the Ferrite, after all this is what the GPZ 7000 is all about, DEEP gold! Why allow any sort of noise into the signal train when you have the option of removing it? 

Out of curiosity are you using Audio Smoothing at all? Also Volume, Sensitivity and Threshold levels would be interesting? 

JP

JP,

I understand the theory behind the ferrite. I use semi auto, and as you know, the machine "learns" the ground and compensates as it goes. As I said, I have found no positive difference in using the ferrite, after many tests of in ground targets, which is why I stopped using it. In fact, if anything, I found the the ferrite can actually over compensate for the ground, especially if you are in quieter ground. Just my findings, yours may be different.

I use no audio smoothing, my machine runs just fine without it. Sensitivity at least 16, usually 18, and often 20 when night detecting. Threshold 25, volume 18, threshold pitch 37 and volume limit 16.

As you know JP, ground noise is a delicate balancing act. I always try to use normal, but when ground noise gets too much you have to go to difficult, with the corresponding loss of depth ! Deciding the point where ground noise is negating the benefit of normal is the $64K question !

Cheers, Rick

• Like 2

Not wrong tis a $64k question, just how low does one go with the sensitivity when it`s time to switch over to difficult. Like it has always been and always will be settings are an individual thing. I am with you or near AG on all your settings except for the volume, I keep it around 6, but that could change. An open mind in this game is the go, the Z is a magic MD, its biggest failing is the disappointment when you recover the target at depth that it isn`t the ouncer you expected rather just a few grams.

These X coils have given the Z the performance boost we sought in coil choices, just sucks we have to make a patch lead, come on ML you suggested we`d have these choices near 4 years back, if you can`t come up with the goods let X coil or whatever aftermarket coil maker have that chip to give us the consumer, the customer, the most important link in the chain, what we are prepared to pay for.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, davsgold said:

These guys in Kalgoorlie have made one for a customer http://www.gcs.com.au/  Global Communications Services, they are the only ones near where I am right now.  I will send Condor another email.  Also a PM on here as well

cheers dave

Thx Dave,

Ian down in Kal at GCS was right on it... he will build Condor one as soon as he gets the parts.

Thanks to Ian for his can do attitude—-He seems to be a top bloke. 

Condor is happy for this nearby option....?

• Like 1

So is there a link or website for showing what is required to modify the GPZ to accept the new coils?  I have a vision on what I think is required, but not entirely sure.  That small 10" coil is really getting me interested. 

JP, When (if) I come to Australia, I think I want to take a lesson with you.  There is no way I could relay that much information back from using my detector.  I find gold, but I want to understand my machine like how you understand yours and the way you describe it.  In my eyes you are on another level.  There are only one or two others that I know that are there too.

• Like 2