Question Importing Gold?

My friend is asking what the restrictions are bringing gold nuggets into the United States from a foreign country? She also wants to know what the taxes might be or if there is a broker fee or any special license? I have no idea and only wish it was something I knew from experience but my nuggets wouldn’t draw much notice, however looking online I don’t see anything that would be an issue other than possibly normal currency limits and taxes although I’ve no idea how an exact value would be placed on something like natural unrefined gold, or are nuggets treated similar to loose and/or unpolished gem stones?

Hi Art, 

I have had no issues with small amounts i have brought back from OZ

My recent entry to Australia was an eye opener because I didn’t answer a few questions lie I should for a longer one year VISA—- the officer held me up for 15 minutes asking questions about what i was doing here for a whole year—- i told them the truth and said fossicking for gold—-that led her to the question of what i do with the gold—-

So her answer was i have to declare gold when i leave Australia—-I don’t know if that is her interpretation of the Law or the Law—— I don’t know if it has to do with how much—(i really didn’t want to go into details with her any more than I already had)

But she was OK after she saw I was ok——— She just reminded me to declare—

I’m sure that is on my Mimi file now—so i guess i will declare—- IF I GET ANY LOL

never had any problems last year with gold—- but I didn’t mess up any questions last year either.... 

• Like 1

Look up the ReEgs for Australia and the correct Australian State...do not assume they are the same.

If a Fossicking license is required, make certain you have one.

The USA law said that if it is a commercial operation you must declare it.

I am a hobbyist and had no issues.

If you tell them you are going to sell you can expect a grilling...

All Australia did was check my passport but I was on a 90 day visa...

good luck

• Like 1

Hi Paul, thanks, and I guess you are on the list now, that’s OK cause you’re not somebody until on some list or another and international gold fossicking’er has a ring to it?. She didn’t say if she was going to be getting it from Australia or Zambia although I think she was more concerned about fees coming into the United States cause when she brought the last batch of opal into the US the mine owner caused a problem using her address as his international shipping address and she got hit heavy in import taxes on unset gem stones and I think she’s trying to avoid some of the same mistakes. She didn’t say how much she was thinking of bringing in but I’d have to guess it would be more than a few ounces?

Fred, next year I might need a license if I work up the nerve to go, both places I’m nervous about for different reasons, the Australian mines because it so far into the outback as to be kind of dangerous although it would be better with a big group for support. And Africa because, well... a lot I don’t know about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1