I'm Planning My First Hunt Site Location In Arizona

Excellent thanks guys :)

I might just keep it, it's actually useful! I just used it to find studs in the wall to hang a tv. lol :)

This website is one of the best for learning about machines.  Do a search and you will find a guide giving pros and cons of each.  Then read through what others are having success using.  When you decide on a machine, see if you can get a used one for starters.  I have never paid full price for a machine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Garikfox, I've been out to these claims several times for dry washing and have attempted some detecting.  You can imagine from the color on the sat. map there are a whole host of hot rocks waiting to be found.  It's definitely hot, dry, and desolate.  I spent my first summer with a detector learning exactly how much heat can be tolerated by a combination of gold fever and the Sonoran Desert.  This time of year is much more pleasurable searching out some morning hours in the north country.  Good luck!

Hello! Everyone! I'm back from my first site(s). 

The Hayden claim site indeed did have way too many hot rocks. I had a crash course in learning my detector lol. 

Got there about 6pm and wasn't hot at all about 97f. First thing i want to say i felt like i was in heavan! i wanted to scan everything and do it now! lol but in reality I only stayed near the car and only dug 3 holes...depressing i know but the first item i found was a 1980 penny at 3 inches! i was so happy!! lol. Next two holes i dug i found a 9mm casing in each hole. I left the site at 8pm.

IMG_1313.thumb.JPG.26d8af02537648b879349c33f29a5d10.JPG

IMG_1312.thumb.JPG.42d999abd34f0fd199655ecb5931dfa8.JPG

40AFF.thumb.JPG.19bf2e5b2e5c53f331042776a91776b7.JPG

The next day (Sun) i left at 12pm for another claim site in Bumble Bee. Lol yes i was hungry for more!

Sadly I only dug one hole and found another 9mm casing at 4in. Had to leave early because it was way too hot and I didn't bring enough water. I didn't account for the effort it took to actually walk up hills and actually get to the site which was 2400 ft walk from the car. A huge lesson i have learned, google map's satellite view is very deceiving about hills and mountain height's. I can't wait to go back to Bumble Bee in October. (sorry about the last pic it came from a screenshot from a video)

IMG_1315.jpg.1fe258d681cec0d5c81e594043f34a6a.jpg

IMG_1314.thumb.jpg.3971296451164b8671f4738dd41aec78.jpg

• Like 1

You may want to snag a book by Chris Ralph called Fists Full of Gold on Amazon. Well worth a read and should be very useful.

I snagged a copy and about halfway through and find it incredibly informative beyond what I plan to do.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, kac said:

You may want to snag a book by Chris Ralph called Fists Full of Gold on Amazon. Well worth a read and should be very useful.

I snagged a copy and about halfway through and find it incredibly informative beyond what I plan to do.

Seriously, one of the most informative books on prospecting that I have read.

Andy

I use to hunt the 29 Palms area of the California deserts in the early summer.  The thing that would end some of my hunts if I had not checked in advance was the wind.  That evil wind can kill your day in an instant, if you have not done a proper weather search ahead of time for your outing day.  Just what I have experienced in those deserts.  Good Luck out there.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1