Custom Gold Maps Australia (diy)

G'day everybody,

Just thought I would start a thread on making your own gold maps to better your chances at striking it rich or at least finding a bit of gold. If this topic has already been done before please let me know & I'll remove it. I can't find anything specific on making your maps on the forum. So what are the things available for us to use in making custom gold maps?  Geological maps, topographical maps, books such as Ghost & gold series, Department of mining websites, google earth etc...there is plenty of resources that we can use.  I live in sunny north QLD Australia, so any info I can share with you will be based on what we have available in our QLD. Every state in Australia has its own mining department along with (rules and regulations) that differ from state to state. 

Department of Mines & Energy in QLD is the website I use to gather a lot of information, so far it has paid out very well in some areas. In particular small isolated gold occurrences. I often look around the fringes of existing gold fields looking for potential gold locations especially along fault lines with historical gold workings. The more remote the area the better, as there are fewer chances of modern detectors having worked the area in recent years.

To get the ball rolling I thought I would just post a couple of pics of areas I have researched & marked out where I've found gold & see where it leads us. 

Jungle gold 2019.jpg

Hodgkinson 2019.jpg

Big nugs 2019.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, I'm currently trying to learn this sort of thing so this thread will be interesting for me.

Your welcome Phrunt, It took me 3 weeks just to learn how to navigate the QLD DERM website page. I was amazed at the information available once I got the hang of using it, I assume in NZ has something similar. One thing that caught my eye was pending mining leases & EPM's that are marked out & going through the approval process. I would see which company had the proposed EPM & do research about them on the net to find out what they were chasing & if they had any potential gold exploration sites pending as they have already done the research on the area for you!

Most Gov mining sites have interactive mapping system such as Google Earth, with operational layers for an overlay of current mining activity, historical, geological, claims, pending EPM's & leases.

Joe I spent a lot of time getting all of the historical data for gold over 20 years ago. To do it you will need a GIS program.  My work is available on this link....  http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2273-historical-gold-mines-in-google-earth

Just click on the file you wont and click on the blue download link under the horse and select direct download.

GIS programs ...... A geographic information system (GIS) is a framework for gathering, managing, and analyzing data. Rooted in the science of geography, GIS integrates many types of data. It analyzes spatial location and organizes layers of information into visualizations using maps and 3D scenes.

I used ... Global Mapper...It will let you do all you want but it is expensive, however there is a lot of different programs about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Joe I spent a lot of time getting all of the historical data for gold over 20 years ago. To do it you will need a GIS program.  My work is available on this link....  http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2273-historical-gold-mines-in-google-earth

Just click on the file you wont and click on the blue download link under the horse and select direct download.

GIS programs ...... A geographic information system (GIS) is a framework for gathering, managing, and analyzing data. Rooted in the science of geography, GIS integrates many types of data. It analyzes spatial location and organizes layers of information into visualizations using maps and 3D scenes.

I used ... Global Mapper...It will let you do all you want but it is expensive, however there is a lot of different programs about.

That is excellent, thanks for the link I'll check it out. GIS sounds like the bee's knees, having more tools at your disposal is worth its weight in gold especially accessing remote areas. Cheers Joe   

(I thought this posted last night!)

Well done.  I think each state in Australia has such free tools.  Use of the computer and navigation and layers with the maps works better if you are already familiar with the area.  I think the real 'trick' for someone that is not local is 'what do I really need to find' in the layers that puts gold within reach of a detector.

When I was just in Victoria it was also a matter of what is 'far out' compared to something that might have been 'worked out' in the way of finding a pocket that had been missed in a well known area.  I thought I could go to one of the published (printed maps with workings) map areas where there had been workings and work the edges of that and find missed gold and/or missed patches.

This is a good one from Pat.

• Like 1

What I did was get the data down load form each state and sort out the information for the locations and gold yields, dates etc with a GIS program and Excel. Now they have good map software, when I did mine this was not the case, with  the use of a GIS program I could use any map I wished to including right down to shire, google earth and district  maps. That was a excellent demo you posted mn90403 ? 

• Like 1

What I found with the mapping software on QLD derm site, not all mines & mining activity is recorded and documented which is understandable. I found some nice spots reading through books like ghosts & gold  & Cape York gold 'The new chum' amongst others & a lot of information which isn't documented on any maps. Using the mapping software allows me to locate these little areas with pretty good accuracy & possible access routes into these spots using the google earth feature. Half the fun is researching & planning new gold prospecting trips with the possibility of no modern detectors having been there before. It pays off for me nearly every time I can't recommend it enough. 

I've included a couple of screenshots from the QLD mining website if anyone is using it.

derm site mulligan.PNG

Super fund 2019.PNG