Avoid Relying On Absolutes . . . . Ground Balance

Andy, thank you so much for addressing this super important subject. I think Minelab originally included the recommendation about not needing to ground balance in order to reassure new or inexperienced detector users about the turn on and go aspects of the Equinox for most detecting scenarios. Unfortunately, I think that has been one of the reasons for some user complaints about overly chatty operation. Auto Ground Balancing on the Equinox takes 5 to 10 seconds max and can make a huge difference in depth, target ID accuracy and general detecting enjoyment. My detecting ground balance numbers at the areas I detect are usually -5 to +5. I have to ground balance or ground noise will just overwhelm the Equinox and me!

Jeff

Should the ground balance be done even if one is returning to the same beach? So if I GB where I hunt usually, is it still advisable to GB again the next time I show up at the same strand of beach several days later? Thanks and Good Luck!

On 6/4/2019 at 12:44 AM, BeachHunter said:

Should the ground balance be done even if one is returning to the same beach? So if I GB where I hunt usually, is it still advisable to GB again the next time I show up at the same strand of beach several days later? Thanks and Good Luck!

My advice based on experience is that you can pretty much just go with the default on  “normal” dry and damp white sand as the mineralization level is  usually nil (I’ll usually pump an Auto GB anyway out of habit as that is part of my startup routine).  For variable salt and/or black sand conditions in wet sand or the surf zone, I use Beach 2 and tracking just as recommended in the user guide.

But as Andy and others have said, if you don’t take the 5 seconds to GB as part of your regular routine, then let your own ears be the judge.  No matter what the situation, if you are getting ground feedback noise (no disc), the detector is telling you to do something about it, so listen to it.

• Like 3

Very good info Andy.  I too think the confusion was from dealers telling new customers "it is not needed", so folks think it is a simple "turn on and go" detector.  I still feel it is, if you want to hunt what I call "urban modern hunts" looking for recently lost coins/jewelry at parks/schools.

Most higher end detectors have Ground Balance capabilities and now we are seeing them in medium range priced units.  Folks need to realize (and I am glad you shared this post) a proper GB will get you greater depth and a more accurate target identification.

Good to see you on here sharing your detector knowledge.  Tell the wife Idaho said hello and next time you are in my neck of the woods, stop in and we'll hunt Eastern Idaho.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

My advice based on experience is that you can pretty much just go with the default on  “normal” dry and damp white sand as the mineralization level is  usually nil (I’ll usually pump an Auto GB anyway out of habit as that is part of my startup routine).  For variable salt and/or black sand conditions in wet sand or the surf zone, I use Beach 2 and tracking just said recommended in the user guide.

But as Andy and others have said, if you don’t take the 5 seconds to GB as part of your regular routine, then let your own ears be the judge.  Now matter what the situation, if you are getting ground feedback noise (no disc), the detector is telling you to do something about it, so listen to it.

Thank you Chase. Very much appreciated!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i have been trying to educate myself on the best way to ground balance, for the hot ground i detect in and this info was exactly the type info i am looking for and need. it will be a great help for me to apply the info you provided. thank you Andy. the people & this forum is just wicked good! 

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I am putting this link here.  Pay close to attention to Mr Dankowski comments.  And notice the test I did where Mr Dankowski replies good test in thread.  Some folks may find this info helpful.  Just in case some folks don’t know Mr Dankowski was indeed involved with Equinox before release to public.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,140280

wow tnss just finished up reading thru the link you posted. wow had me really scratching my head. you guys are a wealth of knowledge and info! i feel that article clearly sums up what andy presented "it really does depend" on the ground and conditions and the only way to find out what works best is to try it as many ways as possible and see what works best. thanks for all the helpful info.